• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

KennethT

KennethT

I do a lot of indoor gardening (less so at themoment, but life gets in the way) but from what I can see from their website, the LEDs are really underpowered - especially for any type of fruiting plant unless it's also getting strong sunlight in a southern facing windowsill.  Basil also likes lots of light.  Beware - as basil grows, it becomes a HUGE water hog - I had a basil plant drink over a gallon of water a day!  I've used a lot of the relatively cheap LED lights found on Ebay - some are better than  others, but if you get a 250W (or even a 100W for just herbs or lettuce) light, it will be much better for your plants... and as @gfweb says, you can see my grow light in my apartment window from down the street.

KennethT

KennethT

I do a lot of indoor gardening (less so at themoment, but life gets in the way) but from what I can see from their website, the LEDs are really underpowered - especially for any type of fruiting plant unless it's also getting strong sunlight in a southern facing windowsill.  Basil also likes lots of light.  Beware - as basil grows, it becomes a HUGE water hog - I had a basil plant drink over a gallon of water a day!  I've used a lot of the relatively cheap LED lights found on Ebay - some are better than  others, but if you get a 250W light, it will be much better for your plants... and as @gfweb says, you can see my grow light in my apartment window from down the street.