• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Plastic wrap improvement

heidih

I have to give props to Kroger for a new design - well  new to me. I have a permanent scar on my dominant hand pointer finger from the saw blade cutter style. That zip style was useless. And now (drum roll) paper and non-injuring!!!  Plus it works :)

pwrap.JPG

• Like 1

Plastic wrap boxes all suck, don't they?  I haven't tried that style. 

About five years ago, I gave up and bought a stretch tite Snap Wrap 7500, which sounds like something that should be for sale on late night tv.  (maybe it is, I don't watch much tv).  But it works very very well.  My wife was furious that I'd bought a thing for the ktichen wihtou discussion, but she has converted too.  We've since given six or ten of them as wedding presents.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dscheidt said:

Plastic wrap boxes all suck, don't they?  I haven't tried that style. 

About five years ago, I gave up and bought a stretch tite Snap Wrap 7500, which sounds like something that should be for sale on late night tv.  (maybe it is, I don't watch much tv).  But it works very very well.  My wife was furious that I'd bought a thing for the ktichen wihtou discussion, but she has converted too.  We've since given six or ten of them as wedding presents.

Looked promising until I checked the dimensions.  This thing is 14" wide and my wrap drawer is only 13.25".  We have a countertop moratorium, so no go.  Otherwise I woulda bit...

1 hour ago, boilsover said:

Looked promising until I checked the dimensions.  This thing is 14" wide and my wrap drawer is only 13.25".  We have a countertop moratorium, so no go.  Otherwise I woulda bit...

Your loss, the 7500 is wonderful.  No more useless balls of wadded wrap.  Seriously a roll lasts much longer when you can readily cut the exact amount you need.  Even without bloodstains.

The 7500 has earned its place on my counter.  If you have to put it on the floor.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Your loss, the 7500 is wonderful.  No more useless balls of wadded wrap.  Seriously a roll lasts much longer when you can readily cut the exact amount you need.  Even without bloodstains.

The 7500 has earned its place on my counter.  If you have to put it on the floor.

The current kitchen has a granite shelf on top of the radiator.  It's not really a useful space (except for drying stuff in heating season, then it's wonderful), but the stretch tite dispenser sits on it, and it works out very well. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Oddly, I noticed when watching a very old Julia Child episode the other night (French Bread, from her first color series) that she seemed to have an *electric* plastic wrap dispenser.My guess is one of these, though it was hard to see. Never imagined such a thing existed.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, dtremit said:

Oddly, I noticed when watching a very old Julia Child episode the other night (French Bread, from her first color series) that she seemed to have an *electric* plastic wrap dispenser.My guess is one of these, though it was hard to see. Never imagined such a thing existed.

There's probably a reason they're not still sold...

8 hours ago, dtremit said:

Wow that brings back memories... my parents had those when I was a kid.  We had 3 - one for plastic wrap, one for aluminum foil and the last for waxed paper.  They worked for years and years.  Once they died, they were still usable - if you pulled on the sheet manually

I can see that the 7500 would be useful for someone who uses a lot of plastic wrap.

Ina Garten, for example, has a roll of commercial plastic wrap the size of a small car.  But she also has a massive kitchen and a huge pantry.

For my purposes, if it won't fit in a drawer it's not coming in to my kitchen.  

11 hours ago, dtremit said:

I have had several dispensers for plastic wrap.  I had two of the electric ones, slightly different, which I sold on ebay 3 years ago.  I had used one until I went to the commercial size in the huge box and found a place for it on one of my shelving units. Seldom used stuff resides behind it. 

It has lasted many years so it has turned out to be a real bargain. The blade on it is wicked sharp!

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

4 hours ago, lindag said:

I can see that the 7500 would be useful for someone who uses a lot of plastic wrap.

Ina Garten, for example, has a roll of commercial plastic wrap the size of a small car.  But she also has a massive kitchen and a huge pantry.

For my purposes, if it won't fit in a drawer it's not coming in to my kitchen.  

I wouldn't say I use a lot of plastic wrap.  And often as not I reuse the pieces.  Consider that the 7500 lets me cut a sheet only as large as needed and I can operate it with one hand.  The downside is that if I were to use the ice cream freezer I would have to move the 7500.

This is what I buy.  I had NO luck using plastic wrap before finding this product.  And it fits in my "wrap and bag drawer"!

I'm reminded of a post by @Fat Guy years ago where he was rhapsodizing about the improvements in the way paper towels and TP were now made - so that it was no longer a massive PITA getting the roll started.  He was SO pleased.  I don't think I've ever started a roll of either without thinking about him!  LOL.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

This is what I buy.  I had NO luck using plastic wrap before finding this product.  And it fits in my "wrap and bag drawer"!

I'm reminded of a post by @Fat Guy years ago where he was rhapsodizing about the improvements in the way paper towels and TP were now made - so that it was no longer a massive PITA getting the roll started.  He was SO pleased.  I don't think I've ever started a roll of either without thinking about him!  LOL.

Yours is the stuff made for the 7500!  Oddly my Stretch-tite roll ran out last night for the first time since I've had the 7500.  One roll has lasted not quite a year and a half.  I have a spare roll if I can figure out how to get it in.  You see I've not had a lot of practice.

Now if I could only learn how to get a roll of toilet paper started.  I'm pretty sure toilet paper is related to food.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, lindag said:

You just need a cat.

As someone who loves cats, the problem is getting the roll of toilet paper started, not getting the roll of toilet paper finished.

• Haha 2

Not to be a total downer, but the only real improvement in plastic wrap would be to seriously limit its use. Instead of covering a bowl  with cling wrap to store in the fridge, it takes about the same amount of time to put food in reusable containers with lids. Or try those great plastic suction lids by Charles Viancin if you must use a bowl for storage. Yes, I know plastic wrap can be really useful. I've heard there is some kind of biodegradable wrap though I've never seen it. But if we don't do something about plastics in the environment the world will be nothing but nurdles, all the way down. 2018 wasn't good for much, but I did learn a new word.

By the way, the Oxford Dictionary chose "Toxic" as its word of the year. A bit broader in scope than "nurdle." Ah, New Years Eve. I'm going to turn on my electric fireplace and have that drink now. Here's hoping 2019 will be an improvement. Cheers! 

• Like 1