• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolates at Christmastime, I cook, bake, quilt, knit also

ChocMD

Hello folks,

I have been a occasional lurker when I have had a specific question, but have recently drilled down through the confectionary topics, and the knowledge and friendliness there are amazing! I confess that when I browse (for instance) Your Daily Sweets What are you making and baking 2017 - I am thoroughly intimidated. I am very much not achieving the level of elegance and precision demonstrated there. I would feel better if I knew all those folks are professionals, but I think they're just really good....

• Like 2

I realize none of us has properly welcomed you. Welcome @ChocMD!

Sounds like you fit in nicely around here - lots of areas of interest. I think you'll find a lot of simpatico folks.

You might want to think about coming to the Chocolate Workshop in May in St Louis. We'd love to have you.

I love reading Your Daily Sweets. I don't contribute to that thread, since I don't bake much. If it involves making icing or cutting anything horizontally, forget about it. I'm just so happy to know there are people who are baking and who enjoy doing it, and I'm in perpetual awe. I only wish I lived next door to them. Welcome to eG. You will find this is a very UN-intimidating crowd. 

• Like 1

Baking is easy. Making chocolates intimidates me! (As does some of the gorgeous cake-decorating that goes on around here.)

Welcome to the group. You'll find lots of expertise, in both professionals and highly skilled amateurs.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Welcome, ChocMD! As someone who admires the confectionary work from afar, I can understand your feelings. That said, I've also watched people who just intended to dabble a little bit get thoroughly drawn into the magic of making chocolate bars or elaborate confections. I'm an admirer only, satisfied to crank out the occasional batch of cookies: if they're edible, I'm good with it. 🙂

It's good to see you coming out of lurkerhood! I think you'll find this group to be very supportive, and helpful when you ask questions. If you have any questions about how to use the forums, feel free to ask a host by PM, or ask publicly in the Moderation and Policy Discussion forum.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown