• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

crisw

Working with Swerve sweetener in chocolate?

I am trying to work on making some chocolates for my diabetic sister. As the sweetener, I used Swerve, an erythritol-based sweetener that supposedly behaves like sugar (and that my sister likes.) I added it to my standard milk chocolate recipe from Chocolate Alchemy- http://chocolatealchemy.com/recipes/dark-milk-chocolate-45 It came out of the melanger fine and set up OK. But, when I went to temper it, it would not melt! Even after an hour at 140F, it was about the consistency of peanut butter. 

Has anyone worked with Swerve and have any successful recipes? Or have any idea why it was so viscous?  The stuff is darned expensive, so I don't want to experiment too much. 

I assume you have made this recipe before with sugar instead of sweetener with good results.

Erythritol is not hygroscopic, oligosaccharides are. Lactose in milk sugar from the milk powder is hygroscopic. These may have contributed. Also how long did you melange it for? Once the particle size gets smaller it needs more cocoa butter to surround those extra particles.

Adding more cocoa butter can compensate for extra moisture so you might be able to rehabilitate this.

There's no water in it, and I treated it like I would regular sugar and had it in a 120F oven for an hour or so before adding it to the melanger. I've made the same recipe before several times with sugar with good results. I had it in the melanger about 12 hours, I think. I was wondering if more cocoa butter would help. I'll give it a whirl- thanks so much!

4 hours ago, crisw said:

I was wondering if more cocoa butter would help.

More cocoa butter has solved almost every viscosity issue I've encountered. It's not the least expensive option but it generally works.

• Like 1

• Similar Content

• By eglies
      Hi there,

I am looking for a very simple vegan bonbon recipe that is just a dark ganache. I am having trouble balancing a coconut cream that has less fat than UHT cream to have a balanced recipe that can have a 3 month shelf life. My bonbon recipe had mould after one month testing.
      Anyone have any good solutions?
    • By eglies
      I need some help to balance my recipe fillings for my bonbons. Anyone have time to help me? I have based myself on Ramon Moratos %
    • By JoNorvelleWalker
      For my purposes I have mastered the art of packaging chocolate bars, but search as I might I cannot find an eGullet thread or any information on packaging chocolate eggs.  I ask as I have an egg mold in transit.  Assuming I can successfully fabricate an egg, how can I wrap or package it?  All I can think of is cellophane.

I've seen pictures so I know some of you are making eggs.  Do not deny it.  When I was little and still celebrated holidays the neighborhood candy establishment sold eggs in windowed cardboard boxes with cellophane grass*.  That was the early 1950's.  Is this still the state of the art?

*cellophane grass tastes terrible.  And the ubiquitous coconut cream filling not much better.

• By melmck
      I am searching for a natural source of food colorings, to tint buttercream, & use in chocolate work. I don't like commercial FC, it is synthetic and toxic to boot. Has anyone found a good source/vendor who has naturally derived colorings
    • By eglies
      Hi there,
      i am moving into our lab next week so excited!!!! I have one million questions but the ones popping up in my head are
      1) If I have 6 moulded bonbon recipes to airbrush, fill and cover and 6 bars recipes to make for our production,how do you organise production? Can someone give me an example of their weekly plan am and pm plan just to get an idea? I have a Selmi 😀. 
      2) how many bonbons and bars should I produce just before we launch? I have my budgets and projections but you know those first weeks God knows how you will do! Should I be freezing from the beginning? And what is the ideal packaging way to freeze bonbons? 

Thank you so appreciate it!