• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Corned Beef and Cabbage Casserole

Thanks for the Crepes

Corned Beef and Cabbage Casserole

4 c. chopped cabbage

1 c. sliced celery

1/2 c. chopped onion

1/4 c. butter

8 oz. mostaccioli noodles cooked and drained

1 can (12 oz.) canned corned beef

1 c. (4 oz.) Swiss cheese shredded

1/2 c. milk

1/2 t. dry mustard, but prepared mustard works very fine and I like a lot of it in there, about 1/4 cup

1/2 t. caraway  seed

1/8 t. black pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F/ 177 C. Saute cabbage, celery, onion in butter until tender. Add remaining ingredients. Mix well and spoon into 2 qt. casserole. Original recipe says to cover and bake 45 to 50 minutes until heated. 8 servings. I always cooked the past first, drained it in a colander and let that sit there while I sauteed the veggies and mixed them in the same pasta pot to keep the dish washing down.

Some adaptations I've made over the years have been to increase cabbage to 6 c., celery to 2 c. and onion to 1 c., but I like a lots of veggies. I also find it imperative to remove the cover to let the pasta and cabbage caramelize a bit. I think I also increased the milk a bit and the cheese to compensate for the extra veggies. I like it and find it tastes a bit like a Reuben. I was scared of the caraway seed at first, but that is what makes it IMO. There is no salt added because there is plenty in the corned beef.

If you try this, I hope you enjoy it as much as I have over the years.

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <