• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Searching for a Contrasting Dark Chocolate

Jim D.

I use Felchlin Maracaibo (65%) as my dark chocolate, and I love it. Because of increasing customer requests for "all dark" or "mostly dark" (a request I cannot easily fulfill at this time because I have a wide range of customer tastes to satisfy, and many like milk, some are white devotées--and I do a very limited production by myself that doesn't allow for a lot of variety). But after Christmas is over, I plan an "all dark" assortment. I am looking for a dark chocolate to offer a contrast to Maracaibo, something probably in the 70% range (my impression is that most people who think they like dark, dark chocolate don't really when it gets much over 70%). Once before I tried Valrhona Caraibe as a darker chocolate, but it really isn't, and no one seemed able to tell any difference. I purchased a tasting sampler of many Valrhona darks but was not thrilled with any of them except Caraibe. I know many people swear by Manjari, but I don't recall in detail what I thought of it. I would be happy to offer a second Felchlin but am not familiar with other darks from that company (and now that AUI is the distributor for Felchlin in the U.S., their products are available only in large amounts-- and for this experiment I am interested in a few kilos, such as Chocosphere has available). Any advice and opinions would be most welcome.

If you’d like a bag of either Felchlin Sao Palme 60 or Arriba 72, I can send you one for cost plus shipping. A friend was extolling the virtues of Maracaibo 65 so I just ordered her a box, I’m hoping I’ll get to taste it, then maybe I can offer a more educated suggestion. 

• Like 1

Maybe go for the most contrasting style available... I have never knowingly experienced Felchlin's products so I don't know if it is a super sharp fruity acidic French style, or a super smooth and rich low-note Belgian style... but go with the style it isn't for the contrast. 

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch