• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WIne Pairing for Scallops with Uni Sauce

ekfc63

I’m planning a starter of scallops, crab leg meat and prawns with uni butter sauce.  Wondering if the uni sauce would change the typical wine pairing of Sylvaner, Riesling, champagne, etc for scallops.

Edited by ekfc63 (log)

Maybe try a Shōchū? It's more alcoholic than wine, but can be very refreshing and pairs with light flavors. I have had yuzu scented types that were very refreshing. I like citrus paired with the fragrance of the ocean.

I'd also look into a dry rosé, I like them for the light character with slightly less acid and more complex flavors than most whites. I think the industry still has not recovered from the 1980s, when big producers pushed a lot of bad, sickly-sweet rosés onto the mass-market and created a damaging image for the whole category. My ultimate recommendation would be for Veuve Clicquot vintage rosé, but, I recognize that it may be beyond the means of your guests.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
12 hours ago, Duvel said:

Was that before it got sauced ..?

Scallops and crab with uni sauce.  Since the scallops, crab and uni were bought live it was quite labour intensive. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...