• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best places to purchase couverture chocolate

carol lang

Try visiting Worldwide Chocolate. They carry a vast array of brands, email coupon codes pretty frequently, and have fabulous customer service. In most cases, I've been able to get free shipping. 

• Thanks 1

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

11 hours ago, paulraphael said:

Whole foods often has bulk selections of Valrhona and Callebaut. The Italian grocery shop at Chelsea Market has bulk Domori and Callebaut. I haven't seen any brick and mortar shops that can compete with Chocosphere in variety or higher-end chocolates.

I once purchased some Whole Foods bulk (I'm pretty sure) Callebaut.  Perhaps the most disappointing chocolate of my life.  Even the local Shoprite is now purveying Callebaut.  My dear boss recently won* a block of Callebaut which she kindly shared.  And no it wasn't good.  Thankfully not Hershey's, but brought to mind an old Scottish proverb:  "Better to travel in hope than to arrive at Glasgow."

*don't ask

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 2 months later...

Does anyone have any good online suppliers? I'm way out in the sticks in Northern California and there's no this here (my closest Walmart is a half hour away) I've been able to do ok on Amazon but was wondering if anyone has any other resources.

On 12/10/2018 at 1:39 AM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I once purchased some Whole Foods bulk (I'm pretty sure) Callebaut.  Perhaps the most disappointing chocolate of my life.

I also once bought Callebaut white chocolate there that tasted and smelled like goat milk, which I did not like at all... Unfortunately Whole Foods does not say what recipe number this is when they repackage the chocolate.

2 hours ago, hjsbanana said:

I've been using Pikes and Caputo's for a variety of my chocolates. Free shipping is always so helpful!  http://www.pikeglobalfoods.com/couvertures/and https://caputos.com

Are you getting coverature in bulk at Caputos? I’ve only ever noticed craft bars there. 

13 minutes ago, hjsbanana said:

@Kerry Beal it's the only website I've found that I can buy 3kg bags of valrhona chocolate for the best price! I don't buy in bulk, unless 3kg is considered bulk? I'm not sure 😊

I’d call that bulk - Valrhona doesn’t seem to come in really big bags!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, hjsbanana said:

I've been using Pikes and Caputo's for a variety of my chocolates. Free shipping is always so helpful!  http://www.pikeglobalfoods.com/couvertures/and https://caputos.com

Thanks, I just ordered a bag of Valrhona Abinao from Caputo's, I could special order a case from a more local distributor, but this will be faster and I don't need a whole case right now!

7 hours ago, hjsbanana said:

my dream one day is to be in a position where I can order cases of valrhona chocolate

You will still get it in 3 kg bags, packaged in carton boxes each one containing 3 bags. Nothing bigger from them, even if you order 100 kg of the same product.

Teo

• Like 3

Teo

5 hours ago, teonzo said:

You will still get it in 3 kg bags, packaged in carton boxes each one containing 3 bags. Nothing bigger from them, even if you order 100 kg of the same product.

Teo

The workhorse chocolates (Satilia 35 and 62) come in 12kg boxes. If they make custom couverture it comes in 12kg boxes as well. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pastrypastmidnight said:

The workhorse chocolates (Satilia 35 and 62) come in 12kg boxes. If they make custom couverture it comes in 12kg boxes as well. 

Good to know, thanks, never used them. It drove me nuts to open a 300 kg order and put all the 3 kg bags on the shelves. Lindt is much more effective about this.

Teo

• Like 2

Teo

On 12/10/2018 at 1:39 AM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I once purchased some Whole Foods bulk (I'm pretty sure) Callebaut.  Perhaps the most disappointing chocolate of my life.  Even the local Shoprite is now purveying Callebaut.  My dear boss recently won* a block of Callebaut which she kindly shared.  And no it wasn't good.  Thankfully not Hershey's, but brought to mind an old Scottish proverb:  "Better to travel in hope than to arrive at Glasgow."

*don't ask

It seems to be up to the whims of the local Whole Foods manager whether or not to put more specific labels on the chocolate. The ones where I've shopped usually let you know the cocoa%, which gives enough of a clue as to which Callebaut product it is. Sometimes it just says "bittersweet" or something similar, in which case it could be anything. 

I like most of the 70%+ callebaut chocolates I've bought there. They aren't special ... just solid workhorse chocolates for making cakes and things. The prices are excellent. Quality-wise they're a step below Valrhona and few steps below Cluizel and some of the other smaller production SO chocolates you can get these days. People still love the stuff in baked goods. 

• Like 1

Notes from the underbelly