• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Considering a Rancilio Silvia

catdaddy

Mrs catdaddy has been good this year and I'm considering buying a Rancilio Silvia as a Christmas present. I know this machine gets a lot of love here, especially when outfitted with a PID. After reading many posts I'm just wondering if there is anything new (since 2013 say) I should know about  the Rancilio or other great machine on the market?

Also any tips about use and/or essential other tools.....like a good knock box. We've got a great grinder already.

I've had my PID-fitted Miss Silvia for a number of years and am very happy with it.

I now measure my beans using a small scale before passing them through the grinder to ensure that the dose is correct every time. This also allows you to use different types of beans as you are not keeping only one type in the hopper.

A good quality coffee tamper that fits the basket perfectly is a must.

A knock box is also a must.

A bottomless portafilter will allow you to check whether your distribution and tamping is being done correctly. If they aren't the coffee will channel and come through the bottom of the filter in multiple locations.

Other tools depend on how serious you are and how much money you have to spend:

A distribution tool allows you to ensure that the coffee is evenly distributed. It leads to more consistent pours but is an expensive piece of kit for a home user: https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/ocd-coffee-distribution-tool

Then there are home roasters...

Welcome to the rabbit hole.

• Like 1

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog