• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What kitchen equipment are you getting for xmas?

eugenep

Already here out of necessity...new all fridge.  The original one was purchased in 2005.

it came with the handle on the wrong side.🙁

DH and I switched it and enjoyed a celebratory cocktail afterwards.

funny, the egg compartment is too small for Canadian cartons..😕

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

Nothing for "xmas," and probably nothing for Christmas. 

Oh, maybe some prime rib, if I can find something good.

I do want one of the 10.25" Lodge L8SKL Cast Iron Pans—but I'll wait for a price drop.

It should fit nicely in the Breville BOV845BSS Smart Oven Pro which is the only oven we've had since I tossed the evil GE range outside back in July! :angry:

Wow! They're now $53.00 more than what I paid!!!

It’s amazing what the BSO can put out. 

• Like 1

Just now, gfweb said:

It’s amazing what the BSO can put out. 

Yes!

We love it!

:)

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

12 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

...the egg compartment is too small for Canadian cartons..😕

:S

• Like 1

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

15 hours ago, chromedome said:

AFAIK I'm getting nothing culinary this year, but of course I'm not necessarily privy to everyone's gift-giving intentions. Last year the in-laws gifted me with a food dehydrator, which was one of the very few things left on my "always kinda wanted, never owned" list.

I've tried to emphasize to everyone that a) I have pretty much every kitchen gadget I'm interested in owning, and several more that I've just accumulated; and b) in the event I see fit to add something to my (already-requires-too-much-storage) kitchen battery, I'd probably prefer to pick it myself.

I suggested shirts. My shirts always seem to get stains and spots from cooking (I own dozens of aprons, never think to put one on until it's too late).

I could have written this entire post 😂

ive treated myself to some DARTO pans as per the thread on here, otherwise we’ll have to see what Santa brings 

19 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

Nothing for "xmas," and probably nothing for Christmas. 

Oh, maybe some prime rib, if I can find something good.

I do want one of the 10.25" Lodge L8SKL Cast Iron Pans—but I'll wait for a price drop.

It should fit nicely in the Breville BOV845BSS Smart Oven Pro which is the only oven we've had since I tossed the evil GE range outside back in July! :angry:

Wow! They're now $53.00 more than what I paid!!!

I love my 10.25" lodge pan.  Perfect fit for the CSO. 

• Like 3

my brother-in-law just sent me a text...

I have a great Christmas present for you guys and 30 C.  Take a guess.

I replied...

No...No...Nooo…..  Not another psycho cat.

He replied ...

Think cooking and baking.

Do you prefer original or glass top stove.

3 years with no working oven and 2 out of 4 working burners.  I CAN COOK AGAIN!!!!!!

HAPPY DANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by suzilightning (log)
  • Like 17

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

3 hours ago, gfweb said:

So where will you store your pots?

It has just now occurred to me how well my grandma would’ve fit in around here- she stored pots in her oven and did all her cooking in an electric gizmo. :P (An electric roaster in her case, but I bet she could’ve been persuaded to try other stuff.)

• Like 1

I just want the space for the things I would buy if I just had the space.  I'm not asking for the space for a full size freezer just an instantpot duo and a CSO size space to start.  It's probably  too late to toilet train Bryn so I could have the space in the utility room his litter box takes up.

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

9 minutes ago, Arey said:

I just want the space for the things I would buy if I just had the space

I hear you loud and clear.

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Arey said:

I just want the space for the things I would buy if I just had the space.  I'm not asking for the space for a full size freezer just an instantpot duo and a CSO size space to start.  It's probably  too late to toilet train Bryn so I could have the space in the utility room his litter box takes up.

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

I hear you loud and clear.

Me too...

I requested a Lodge Logic 8 Inch Round Dual Handle Seasoned Cast Iron Pan, L5RPL3 and a Lodge 1-Quart Cast Iron Serving Pot, L1SP3 for the BSO.

They're both small, but I cook (when I feel like cooking) for one—just myself—99.5% of the time.

The housemate and I have totally different ways-of-cooking-and-eating.

So he cooks burns his own stuff! xD

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

On 12/5/2018 at 7:14 PM, btbyrd said:

CenturyLife gave the D7 a 5/5 on heat distribution/evenness. That, plus the sheer mass of the thing, was what sold me. The non-reactiveness was a nice bonus.

Yeah but they also said "Among All-Clad’s product lines, I’d avoid D5/D7/C2/Copper Core/nonstick for reasons stated above–they are priced too high."

The AC Copper Core are expensive, but as the old adage goes, 'you get what you pay for'.

I recently acquired a CC chefs pan and stock pot. 

The stock pot brings water to a boil at nearly half the time my old SS models did - I figure in a few years I will save on the gas bill, making up for the price of the pot.

;)

10 hours ago, rob1234 said:

Yeah but they also said "Among All-Clad’s product lines, I’d avoid D5/D7/C2/Copper Core/nonstick for reasons stated above–they are priced too high."

That’s why you watch for it on eBay and snag it for the same price as their triply line. 

• Like 1

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

https://www.sizzleandsear.com/

On 12/5/2018 at 10:39 PM, Wolf said:

Call me crazy, but once my Christmas bonus lands on my bank account, I think I'll treat myself to a 6" forged Victorinox Grand Maitre carving knife to serve as my 'primary knife'- slicer-cum-pairing knife (I don't use chef knives)... :$

Change of plans... I wasn't thrilled with Victorinox knife (it was apparently slicing knife, not an utility), so I did some further searching and being lucky as I am, the shop selling the knife I liked had 20% off today... :D I've treated myself to a nice de Buyer 14cm utility knife- much larger and lighter knife that pictures led me to believe.

deBuyer.jpg

• Like 1

A cigarette is the perfect type of a perfect pleasure. It is exquisite, and it leaves one unsatisfied. What more can one want?  - Oscar Wilde