• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What kitchen equipment are you getting for xmas?

eugenep

what kitchen equipment are you getting for xmas (either for yourself or from your family/friends/partner)? 

I think it would be crazy lucky if anyone would be receiving a viking stove, blast freezer, combi oven, robot coup, vitamix blender, dry-age steak refrigerator etc. or anything crazy and out of this world. 

I'm getting myself a le creuset 5 qt braiser and I asked my girlfriend to get me an Atlas pasta machine. 

How bout you? 

I bought myself some new half sheet pans, Amazon had a deal on Viking, a two pack. I think I want a quarter sheet pan now. And I need a new SS wire rack to go in the pans. Maybe a new instant read thermometer. Not very exciting.

• Like 2

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

My wife and I took the plunge and bought ourselves a Le Creuset 5 qt Dutch Oven. We got it from a wholesaler, so quite the deal. Still pretty much blasted our funds for the year, but has been totally worth it.

A new Vitamix blender would be AMAZING. 

• Like 3

Bryan Quoc Le

Graduate Student | Food Science | Madison, WI

Editor & Writer | Science Meets Food | Personal Website

I'll get several little small pieces of kitchen widgetry. Nothing big I really want, except I'm contemplating a small dorm-room-size fridge for curing meat. That will be after Christmas, and after we buy a house and move.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Ridiculous as it might sound in US winter I am craving a small BBQ  - though maybe a replacement of my dear departed Weber Kettle makes most sense use wise and money wise.

• Like 3

Call me crazy, but once my Christmas bonus lands on my bank account, I think I'll treat myself to a 6" forged Victorinox Grand Maitre carving knife to serve as my 'primary knife'- slicer-cum-pairing knife (I don't use chef knives)... :$

• Like 3

A cigarette is the perfect type of a perfect pleasure. It is exquisite, and it leaves one unsatisfied. What more can one want?  - Oscar Wilde

2 hours ago, btbyrd said:

I'm getting an All Clad D7 12" skillet and a CCK Chinese cleaver. Also some glassware from Korin. 

I just gifted myself a D7 12”. Upgraded from my stainless steel triply. It’s quite the hefty beast and heat distribution is amazing. 

• Like 2

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

https://www.sizzleandsear.com/

19 minutes ago, CanadianHomeChef said:

I just gifted myself a D7 12”. Upgraded from my stainless steel triply. It’s quite the hefty beast and heat distribution is amazing. 

Nice! I have the triply as well, but I have been looking around for something that could work as an alternative to my Matfer 12.5" carbon steel pan. I bought that one because Darto didn't make a carbon steel pan sized between their 27cm skillet and their 34cm paella. I dislike the Matfer extremely, not in terms of its heating performance or thickness but with regard to its ability to hold seasoning. For whatever reason, it sloughs off everything all too easily; it's radically worse than any of my other carbon steel pans and cast iron.. That's why I was delighted to discover something that combines the weight of carbon steel (or enameled cast iron) with non-reactive metal that conducts heat more evenly. And the helper handle seems like a nice feature, given that it's such a hefty beast. 

2 hours ago, Wolf said:

Call me crazy, but once my Christmas bonus lands on my bank account, I think I'll treat myself to a 6" forged Victorinox Grand Maitre carving knife to serve as my 'primary knife'- slicer-cum-pairing knife (I don't use chef knives)... :$

Using a 150mm knife as your primary blade does sound pretty crazy! 🙂 

1 hour ago, CanadianHomeChef said:

It’s quite the hefty beast and heat distribution is amazing. 

The hefty part I get.  The heat-distribution part not so much.  My impression from the truly thoughtful reviews (e.g., Centurylife.org) is that the good 'ol All-Clad triply is the best clad line they offer in terms of moving heat.  

The original selling point of d7 was not that it was even, but that it retained heat, e.g., "Holds heat like cast iron, only 30% lighter!"  They claimed d5 was even, but the concept of interleaving thin alternating layers of poorly-conductive steel just isn't all that persuasive to me.  I think Centurylife's testing and FLIR imagery bears this out. 

47 minutes ago, boilsover said:

The hefty part I get.  The heat-distribution part not so much.  My impression from the truly thoughtful reviews (e.g., Centurylife.org) is that the good 'ol All-Clad triply is the best clad line they offer in terms of moving heat.  

The original selling point of d7 was not that it was even, but that it retained heat, e.g., "Holds heat like cast iron, only 30% lighter!"  They claimed d5 was even, but the concept of interleaving thin alternating layers of poorly-conductive steel just isn't all that persuasive to me.  I think Centurylife's testing and FLIR imagery bears this out. 

By heat distribution I was talking about eveneness. Yes it takes longer to heat up, but I don’t have a 10 inch induction burner that will make contact with the entire base.  So I appreciate that the heat will travel further to the edges of the pan. 

Edited by CanadianHomeChef (log)

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

36 minutes ago, boilsover said:

CenturyLife gave the D7 a 5/5 on heat distribution/evenness. That, plus the sheer mass of the thing, was what sold me. The non-reactiveness was a nice bonus.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, btbyrd said:

CenturyLife gave the D7 a 5/5 on heat distribution/evenness. That, plus the sheer mass of the thing, was what sold me. The non-reactiveness was a nice bonus.

That’s what sold me too. And I can definately see more evenness when I boil water in it compared to the triply. The bubbles reach closer to the edges of the pan. 

• Like 1

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

AFAIK I'm getting nothing culinary this year, but of course I'm not necessarily privy to everyone's gift-giving intentions. Last year the in-laws gifted me with a food dehydrator, which was one of the very few things left on my "always kinda wanted, never owned" list.

I've tried to emphasize to everyone that a) I have pretty much every kitchen gadget I'm interested in owning, and several more that I've just accumulated; and b) in the event I see fit to add something to my (already-requires-too-much-storage) kitchen battery, I'd probably prefer to pick it myself.

I suggested shirts. My shirts always seem to get stains and spots from cooking (I own dozens of aprons, never think to put one on until it's too late).

• Like 5

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

2 hours ago, chromedome said:

I suggested shirts. My shirts always seem to get stains and spots from cooking (I own dozens of aprons, never think to put one on until it's too late).

I have a drawer full of stained "faire" t-shirts. I wear these in my ren faire kitchens and at home when doing messy jobs. I, too, own plenty of aprons. I find that I prefer just to wear shirts that don't matter when cooking.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Alas, mine often arrive prematurely in the "shirts that don't matter" category because I forget to change before cooking. Perhaps one of these days I'll manage to form the habit...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

14 hours ago, btbyrd said:

Ah, I was remembering d5, which Franz scored a relatively poor 109.7 on gas.  The d7 did much better at 82.3, but still less even than the Proline.   On electric, it was much closer.

There's slightly more than 2mm of aluminum in d7, whereas Proline contains approximately 4mm.

33 minutes ago, kayb said:

There is one thing I want. An offset spatula.

It’s possible to work without one of these? Trust me you will never go back once you own one. My small one gets 10 times more use than my large one. 

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

9 hours ago, chromedome said:

I've tried to emphasize to everyone that a) I have pretty much every kitchen gadget I'm interested in owning, and several more that I've just accumulated; and b) in the event I see fit to add something to my (already-requires-too-much-storage) kitchen battery, I'd probably prefer to pick it myself.

I so understand this. My DW and I have been married 40 years and we've accumulated to the point the cabinets are bulging. Between the excess in a closet and the garage, and all of the equipment I have for my ren faire kitchens out in the storage shed, I can't think of a single thing that I would want to add to my kitchen.  Well ... not practical ... but I wouldn't turn down a Blue Star range 😁.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Nothing for "xmas," and probably nothing for Christmas. 

Oh, maybe some prime rib, if I can find something good.

I do want one of the 10.25" Lodge L8SKL Cast Iron Pans—but I'll wait for a price drop.

It should fit nicely in the Breville BOV845BSS Smart Oven Pro which is the only oven we've had since I tossed the evil GE range outside back in July! :angry:

Wow! They're now $53.00 more than what I paid!!!

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 3

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!