• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

CanadianHomeChef

CanadianHomeChef

47 minutes ago, boilsover said:

The hefty part I get.  The heat-distribution part not so much.  My impression from the truly thoughtful reviews (e.g., Centurylife.org) is that the good 'ol All-Clad triply is the best clad line they offer in terms of moving heat.  

The original selling point of d7 was not that it was even, but that it retained heat, e.g., "Holds heat like cast iron, only 30% lighter!"  They claimed d5 was even, but the concept of interleaving thin alternating layers of poorly-conductive steel just isn't all that persuasive to me.  I think Centurylife's testing and FLIR imagery bears this out. 

By heat distribution I was talking about eveneness. Yes it takes longer to heat up, but I don’t have a 10 inch induction burner that will make contact with the entire base.  So I appreciate that the heat will travel further to the edges of the pan. 

CanadianHomeChef

CanadianHomeChef

41 minutes ago, boilsover said:

The hefty part I get.  The heat-distribution part not so much.  My impression from the truly thoughtful reviews (e.g., Centurylife.org) is that the good 'ol All-Clad triply is the best clad line they offer in terms of moving heat.  

The original selling point of d7 was not that it was even, but that it retained heat, e.g., "Holds heat like cast iron, only 30% lighter!"  They claimed d5 was even, but the concept of interleaving thin alternating layers of poorly-conductive steel just isn't all that persuasive to me.  I think Centurylife's testing and FLIR imagery bears this out. 

By heat distribution I was talking about eveneness. Yes it takes longer to heat up, but I don’t have a 12 inch induction burner. So I appreciate that the heat will travel further to the edges of the pan.