• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Indian Food in Tokyo

kobykoby

I like Moti, and Raj Mahal but anybody want to recommend one to

take an Indian person?

My favorite Indian restaurant in Japan was Gaylord in Kobe - but

that was pre-earthquake - anybody know what happened to the

place?

------------------------

to taberu is to ikiru

When I read the title I was thinking the same two!

There is a small Moti that opened very close to me in Center Kita (Tsuzuki-ku, Yokohama) but it isn't as good as the one in Shibuya.

Even closer to my house is one called Akbar, which is good but far from the best.

I love the spinach curry with paneer at Raj Mahal.

Sorry I know nothing about the one in Kobe.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

• 1 year later...

One of the best meals of my life was at an Indian restaurant my folks and I stumbled upon in Akasaka in 1975, which turned out to be associated with the Indian Embassy. For whatever it's worth.

Michael aka "Pan"

place?

Looks like Gaylord in Kobe is no longer with us. They used to have a very nice website but it seems to have closed down. There is Gaylord group of restaurants that continues to operate around the world, but I don't think there was any connection between the group and the restaurant in Japan.

Sun-Ki Chai
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~sunki/

Former Hawaii Forum Host

I like Moti, and Raj Mahal but anybody want to recommend one to

take an Indian person?

place?

According to Frommer's and Fodor's online, Gaylord still exists. I've not been there in a few years, but should I find it upon my return to Kobe in March, I'll let you know!