• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help with Almond Brittle

prashamk

I was using an online recipe for making Almond Roca. While the recipe called for unsalted butter since it wasn't available I used Salted one and added slight more sugar to reduce taste of salt. 

I put butter in a pan, added sugar and then water and finally corn syrup but butter and sugar seem to have separated. What could be the reason?

Pls help.

IMG-20181203-WA0047.jpg

5 hours ago, prashamk said:

While the recipe called for unsalted butter since it wasn't available I used Salted one and added slight more sugar to reduce taste of salt. 

I think the additional salt from using salted butter instead of unsalted would be a nice addition. I would look at it more as the salt helping balance some of the sweetness than as something that needs to be offset with additional sweetness. Never met an almond roca that wasn't more than sufficiently sweet to begin with. Of course that's unrelated to your question and really none of my business how you choose to make your candy... just felt inspired to mention it anyway. :D

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Ditch the corn syrup. Use salted butter. Mix the sugar and water and add butter. Cook slow at first to get the sugar to dissolve. When it is boiling and no sugar grains remain, turn up the heat to finish cooking. After about 260F, it won't separate. Good luck.

• Like 2

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com