• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Making corn flour

joiei

The lady who lives above me is looking for corn flour like she had in Bangladesh.  Can I process cornmeal in a blender or a food processor to make as fine a flour as she is looking for?  Would masa be a suitable substitute?  The corn flour from Bob's Mill is pretty expensive for her everyday cooking requirements.  Thanks in advance.  

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Masa in nixtamalized, isn't it? I wouldn't expect that to have the same flavor profile, but you could give her a taste and see what she thinks. Sorry I don't have more specific information, but I'll bet someone here does.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I think you can make corn flour by buzzing corn meal in a blender or food processor. At least that's what Google tells me. She should give it a try. Masa is probably the wrong product, as Smithy notes, but she should taste it and make her own decision. In either case, it should be made finer by further grinding.

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

Formerly "Nancy in CO"

7 hours ago, Nancy in Pátzcuaro said:

I think you can make corn flour by buzzing corn meal in a blender or food processor. At least that's what Google tells me. She should give it a try. Masa is probably the wrong product, as Smithy notes, but she should taste it and make her own decision. In either case, it should be made finer by further grinding.

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

I will let Moe know what you all have suggested.  She made me some fritters last night with a marinated eggplant and some with potatoes,  The eggplant ones were delicious.  

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

In Australia corn flour is cornstarch. Which is white.  Mostly used as a thickening agent.  Recipes for Corn bread require Polenta but our polenta is coarse ground and sometimes you would wizz it for a finer product.

So I'm confused as to what she needs...😕

2 hours ago, Captain said:

So I'm confused as to what she needs...😕

Me too! I can buy corn starch but I can also buy corn flour and they are quite different.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog