• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sad News about Katie Loeb

FrogPrincesse

Sad news. I have a lot of respect for people who stayed in the business for a lifetime. I made it 30 years before my body couldn't take it anymore. Seems like its the years after 50 when your impact is really felt. Good for her and her life well lived. Like @Kim Shook said above Katie is a light for a whole pile of people.

• Like 3

Sad news, indeed. Even though we never met in person, I'll always be reminded of her via a copy Shake Stir Pour in my bookcase and a jar of her orgeat syrup in my fridge.

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Rest in power, Katie.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

• 1 month later...

Wow  I just thought of her two days ago whilst looking at the now massively increased Argentine wine she told us all about in 2010... Then I saw this... Very sad...

Katie also in a private message told me about how to preserve opened wine with argon gas back then.... A trick from her managing bars days I think, now a a cottage industry with all those single serve wine systems like Coravin et al. 

• 2 weeks later...

Oh my God, I'm just seeing this! I am - or I guess I have to say was - a Facebook friend of Katie's, but somehow, the brutal algorithms of that site kept the news from me. I considered Katie a friend. This is just so painful. :(

• Sad 3

Michael aka "Pan"

• 4 weeks later...

I remember her vivacious posts on Varmint's Pig Pickin topics. She brought all the limoncello that many of you enjoyed, and I loved reading about that before I actually joined up with eG. The Pig Pickin's happened right here in my backyard, and were one of the things that so engaged me with this site. Apparently Varmint's done with us, and that it too bad.

I am sorry Katie's gone. The world is going to be diminished by that.

Her memory is certainly enduring with me.

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

On 12/10/2018 at 4:47 PM, gfweb said:

From your linked article:

"Her specialties included a lime cordial that substitutes for the typical Rose’s mixer, which she likened to “lime-flavored furniture polish.” 

Wow! Do I agree with Katie on this one. When I was a kid I used to make margaritas with Rose's because I just didn't know any better. I still love margaritas, but they are so much better now without Rose's. Do they even make that vile concoction anymore?

I am so happy that Katie's two cats have been adopted by a friend. Cats live a long time, and it is a horrible irony that when we get older, if we want to be a responsible pet caregiver, we sometimes must do without their companionship for fear that they may not fare well if something happens to us. That is when we need them the most. So I am crying with joy over this happy adoption.

Thanks for sharing this.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <