• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Christmas Gifts Received 2018

Darienne

We have a friend from South Africa who works in Ontario now  as a PSW (Personal Care Worker) and she receives

from her elderly clients the most wonderful 'gifts'.  Mostly things which they have never used or can use no longer.  Wonderful things.  Now our friend is not what you would call a dedicated cook so I have been the lucky recipient of many of these items.  To whit, today's haul:  a never-used pressure cooker and several stainless steel containers with locking tops.  Could not believe the containers...looked them up on Amazon...was stunned by the prices...they start in the mid-$30.00 ...that's apiece.  And truth be told, I am a container enthusiast.  

DSC01207.thumb.JPG.b395c6fa2b010f6bb6860ca9b71993fd.JPG

Added:  The locking dishes are from Zebra Thailand.  Printed on their bottoms.

Edited by Darienne (log)
  • Like 11

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Have received my first cooking-oriented gift of the season -- two pounds of shelled pecan halves. A client has sent these annually for at least 15 years, and they are always appreciated, as my Christmas cooking and baking are fairly pecan-centric.

The same day they arrived, I had purchased six pounds of fresh, shelled local pecans. I will have plenty for treats, baking, and to go in the freezer for all next year!

• Like 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

8 minutes ago, kayb said:

Have received my first cooking-oriented gift of the season -- two pounds of shelled pecan halves. A client has sent these annually for at least 15 years, and they are always appreciated, as my Christmas cooking and baking are fairly pecan-centric.

The same day they arrived, I had purchased six pounds of fresh, shelled local pecans. I will have plenty for treats, baking, and to go in the freezer for all next year!

Now that's something I would love.  I remember buying pecans in NM and being so thrilled with how delicious they were.  And there was a pecan tree in Moab near a store we frequented and I often just pulled the nuts off the tree.  Yummy.  Lucky you. 

• Like 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

1 hour ago, Darienne said:

Now that's something I would love.  I remember buying pecans in NM and being so thrilled with how delicious they were.  And there was a pecan tree in Moab near a store we frequented and I often just pulled the nuts off the tree.  Yummy.  Lucky you. 

Particularly seeing that the local pecans, I paid $7 for a quart zip-lock that holds a bit more than a pound. And they're big, pretty things; obviously the papershell variety.

I miss having a pecan orchard where I can pick up my own. Used to do so in the parking lot of my office in Marion.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com