• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What to do with boneless beef short ribs?

Orbit

I looked at the beef short ribs topic, but it seemed to refer to bone-in rib racks mostly. What does one do with BONELESS  beef ribs? I picked up a small package because they looked good, but now I don't know what to do with them!

A quick web search revealed lots of recipes for 4 or 5 pounds worth -- I've got maybe a pound (just for two people) and I wondered also how that affects the cooking time.

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted title for clarity (log)

I make my beef stew exclusively with boneless short ribs. I usually by them from Costco in a big package and divide, vacuum pack and freeze them. But if I run our, a few stores near me sell them. So in a pinch I can get them.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I try to take the extra time to let them marinate with a mirepoix of carrots, celery and onion with a good slug ( half bottle? ) of red wine overnight.   Then drain and dry, keeping the liquid, sear then return marinade and solids.    Braise until fork tender.  

• Like 2

eGullet member #80.

8 hours ago, lindag said:

So?  How'd they turn out?

The recipe looks quite good.

They just went in the oven. If nothing else, it smells good! I'll try to remember to post a picture!

27 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Recipe won’t open. Just a few lines then a blur

Opens for me

READY IN: 2hrs 20mins

SERVES: 4

YIELD: 1 short rib

UNITS: US

INGREDIENTS

4 boneless beef short ribs

1⁄4 cup flour

2 tablespoons canola oil

1 large onion

1 celery rib

1 large carrot

3 garlic cloves

1 cup wine

1 -2 cup chicken stock

2 tablespoons tomato paste

1 bay leaf

1 teaspoon dried thyme

1 teaspoon dried rosemary

salt and pepper

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Chop onion, celery and carrot into one inch pieces. Mince garlic. Set aside. Dredge beef in flour seasoned with salt and pepper. Shake off extra flour.

Heat dutch oven or other oven/stovetop safe deep pan over high heat till hot. Add oil and immediately add beef.

Brown beef till all sides are dark golden brown. Remove from pan and add onion, carrot and celery.

Reduce heat to medium and add garlic. Sauté till vegetables start to brown.

Add wine and reduce by half.

Add tomato paste, chicken stock, thyme, rosemary and bay leaf.

Return beef to pan, cover tightly and place in oven. Cook for about two hours or until beef is tender but not falling apart.

Remove beef and strain vegetables off of sauce. Return liquid to pan and reduce until desired consistency.

Season sauce to taste. Serve over spatzle, noodles or polenta. (or whatever else you please).

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Zirael said:

@heidih thank you for the great recipe! I'll try it on the weekend! I'll use olive oil instead of canola oil, I hope it's ok.

I do not use canola in general so yes olive oil is my personal go to

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Are beef ribs the same things as short ribs?

Not in my book.Click. you will have to scroll down to see the difference between beef ribs which are those bones attached to a prime rib and short ribs which are a different cut. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog