• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Refrigerated stock where fat has blue streaks

TdeV

I had to leave town in a hurry and left some carefully prepared lamb stock in the fridge. There's a layer of fat covering the stock in each container but there's definitely mould growing in the fat.

I know I'll be throwing out the fat, but is there any way to save the stock?

Edited by Smithy
Corrected title spelling (log)

In my opinion NOPE. I know it’s not bread you were asking about but the “roots” are very similar no matter the mould species I do believe.  I’m no expert mind you

Click.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

If it's more than a week old, it's not good. The fridge slows down the action of some bacteria and viruses and most of them remain active -just at a slower rate. There are a few bugs that thrive under refrigeration, and a couple that are severely inhibited. Don't risk it, there are all sorts of bugs, unlike mold, that you can neither see nor smell.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wearing my former food-safety trainer hat: Anna's right, molds can introduce mycotoxins into foods even when they're apparently confined to the surface. Also, as Lisa says, many pathogens (especially Listeria monocytogenes) can quite happily keep on keepin' on even at refrigerator temperatures.

I share your horror at the tragedy of wasted lamb stock, but OTOH it's an excuse to eat lamb again soon so you'l have the makings for a new batch. That, plus avoiding a nasty bout of GI distress, adds up to a win-win.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning