• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Which truffles last longest?

prashamk

Hi,

Most of the chocolate truffles (ferrero rocher like balls) call for some form of Ganache / liquid which has pretty limited shelf life and hence selling them in a hot country like India is a challenge. I wish to know which chocolate truffles last longest? Also is there an additive that can elongate their shelf life? 

Regards

It depends on your kitchen, how clean it is, the temperature your product is stored at and how much water is in your product. The last one is probably the most important. Low water content = low microbial activity. This doesn't mean "I didn't add any water" it means "cream is 65% water" & "<insert type of> alcohol is 90% water" or whatever.

You can add products to your formulations to extend shelf life, things like potassium sorbate, or try different types of sugars like sorbitol that can reduce your Aw. Things that are very high is sugar are also relatively shelf stable.

• Like 2

I see a lot of people make low water fillings using gianduja (Chocolate and nut paste) or  melt away (chocolate and coconut oil). There will likely be issues with fat bloom over time - but shelf life is long.

• Like 1

Some of the books will list available water in the recipes - I believe Wybauw and Notter both do. 

Since you’ll have the retail shop you have the opportunity to tell each customer to eat the candy within a month (for example). You can promote that the truffles are fresh and perishable. It’s harder when you need to satisfy merchants who want a 6 month shelf life. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

I see a lot of people make low water fillings using gianduja (Chocolate and nut paste) or  melt away (chocolate and coconut oil). There will likely be issues with fat bloom over time - but shelf life is long.

Ill be using compound chocolate and not "Real" chocolate. I read on wiki that fat bloom occurs when cocoa butter comes to surface. Now that I am using compound chocolate, will I have fat bloom issue in that too?

6 hours ago, prashamk said:

Ill be using compound chocolate and not "Real" chocolate. I read on wiki that fat bloom occurs when cocoa butter comes to surface. Now that I am using compound chocolate, will I have fat bloom issue in that too?

You might - fat bloom is just incompatible fats.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 2