• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Squash Vinegar - Noma -- Uses?

Paul Bacino

46088397241_bc0767f866_b.jpg

The juicer

32217229348_0125559f86_b.jpg

Besides the juice I add these

46088400171_c7270304ea_c.jpg

The process roughly

Juice , add in alcohol and starter--  and add  a bubbler for 10-14 days

46088395841_ded9eda753_b.jpg

Its tasting pretty good,  any ideas on what I might use it in/with?  

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)
  • Like 1

Its good to have Morels

I'm surprised there hasn't been more on Noma Fermentation here.  So far, I've stuck to the lacto-ferments (blueberries worked exactly as poorly as I would have guessed from the recipe, but the plums were nice), so I can't really help answer your question.  That said, one thing has held me back on the vinegar, so I'll ask you:  how did you select / get comfortable with your bubbler?  I see cheap ones, in the price range that would be worth a shot, but I worry they aren't food grade and that I'll end up with lead poisoning or worse from my $10 Amazon bubbler made who knows where.  Thoughts?

• Like 1

On 11/28/2018 at 7:53 AM, Paul Bacino said:

Its tasting pretty good,  any ideas on what I might use it in/with? 

I don't know what it tastes like, but, I'd like to mention that I enjoy gastriques and wish that other people made them more often.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tazerowe said:

I'm surprised there hasn't been more on Noma Fermentation here.  So far, I've stuck to the lacto-ferments (blueberries worked exactly as poorly as I would have guessed from the recipe, but the plums were nice), so I can't really help answer your question.  That said, one thing has held me back on the vinegar, so I'll ask you:  how did you select / get comfortable with your bubbler?  I see cheap ones, in the price range that would be worth a shot, but I worry they aren't food grade and that I'll end up with lead poisoning or worse from my $10 Amazon bubbler made who knows where.  Thoughts?

JUST ME...  but i feel like its a Canary in  a gold mine scenario..the little guppies are alive.   

and the squash vinegar is  awesome..I'm thinking here a sweet potato gnocchi  dish..just haven't figured how to make it work

Its good to have Morels

I grew up with vinegar on the table (industrial white) to dribble into soups.  Perhaps doubling down - the squash vinegar - to diner tate - dribbld into a squash based soup over over  roasted squash "salad"

• Like 1

The finished product!!

32244017298_e3cafe8fbf_b.jpg

I woke up to this today

45398966834_22363b0c9a_z.jpg

I appears I have 3 noticeable layers of separation...

what the heck is the bottom white layer?  would one decant off the top two layers or what

Paul  

Its good to have Morels

• 1 month later...

On 11/29/2018 at 4:28 PM, tazerowe said:

For what it's worth, I think I solved my problem with a food grade bubbler kit intended for home brewers to oxygenate wort.  I bought a $20 kit from Amazon, despite poor reviews, and it seems to work fine.  I think it can handle a quart of vinegar but I could see it struggling in 5 gallons of think wort.  Anyway, butternut vinegar is half done.  Will report back.