• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dairy-free ganache suggestions

ChocoMom

Hey all--

I've got orders for some dairy free chocolates. Normally, to skate around the whole dairy issue, I'd make liquor filled bombs, but this is going for the waaaayyy underage group. So....my plan is to use full-fat coconut milk/cream rather than heavy cream. I've not done this before, so I am a little concerned that coconut flavor might come through where I may not want it.  

The other common dairy component is the butter. So what other fat might I use in place of the usual butter?  I was thinking coconut oil, or cocoa butter- just not sure about which way to go. 

Any help or suggestions would be most appreciated!!  

Andrea

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

What about doing meltaways? They use coconut oil (refined will give virtually no coconut flavor) and I imagine you could flavor them with a number of oils - mint, lemon, orange, almond, etc. Tempered properly (true confessions: I have an EZTemper, which makes it easy) the texture is wonderful. You could either slab and dip, or fill bonbons.

Edited by patris (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Patty