• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cheese I can’t do without

gfweb

9 hours ago, lemniscate said:

I just ordered my first foray into WSU cheeses: Cougar Gold and Viking.  I ordered it for a surprise for Easter feast, hopefully I can leave it alone until Easter.   Never had it before but the reviews are all very, very positive.  Now I need to locate a real smoked picnic ham to complete the prep.

Order the smoked "city ham" from Broadbent. Although the Appleton Farms ham at Aldi ain't no slouch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 4 weeks later...

Currently Ewe's Blue by Old Chatham Sheepherding company.  I love it with a red Anjou pear and adore it in blue cheese dressing.

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I do not work for these people

but Ive had , and will look into it again

https://blythedalecheese.com/artisan-cheese/

these cheeses 

esp the Brie and the Camembert 

click on the V.B and V.C  and they have a drop down menu

I when I got these two

ome at a time , as Im still alive

I got the oldest one in the cheese cooler

then opened the package up a bit

and Home Aged it in my kitchens cabinet

it was delightful

I plan now to see where it sold in my area

and do this again  

and Ill buy both of similar age

and Home Age !

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I'm going to bump up this thread because here in the Indian Ocean, Madagascar is a cheese lover's paradise.  How unexpected!

I've always loved Roquefort and it's bluesy cousins, and aged Gruyere makes my eyes twinkle.  Manchego, Chevre, Chedder: Yes, yes, yes.

The cheese counter at the local supermarket goes yards long, and you can get your varietal fresh, aged moderately or aged into funkiness. Smoked? Usually also available.  

• Like 4

Last weekend we were in a store called Denninger's which has, to my eyes at least, an amazing cheese counter.  There we tasted some Graskaas, translates from the Dutch as  Grass cheese, made from the first milk produced by the cows when they first are released to pasture after being kept indoors all winter.  This was  made by Beemster and we bought a honking big piece of it.  We've been eating it ever since and loving every bite.

Edited by ElsieD
Added from the Dutch (log)
  • Like 3

when I was younger I preferred milder cheeses...I used to say, the rubber-ier, the better.

Now I've branched out some but can't say that I have tried many, if any, more exotic types.  Probably couldn't find them here even if I wanted.