• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

gulfporter

gulfporter

Mexican cheeses are too mild for us.  Sharper cheeses are imports and can be pricey.  However, goats abound in Mexico and goat cheese is cheap, local and varied by both aging and flavorings.  

I am cooking more with goat cheese than I thought possible.  My go-to quesadillas include chicken al carbon from a local stand with the accompanying onions and peppers and whatever goat cheese is in my fridge.  I toast the filled flour tortillas on my gas grill until the goat cheese is warm and soft....that's lonche!   

While I am usually firmly in the camp of 'no cheese with seafood,' goat cheese on top of grilled shrimp served over fresh pasta with just a drizzle of olive oil and blistered cherry tomatoes and fresh basil, works for us.  

gulfporter

gulfporter

Mexican cheeses are too mild for us.  Sharper cheeses are imports and can be pricey.  However, goats abound in Mexico and goat cheese is cheap, local and varied by both aging and flavorings.  

I am cooking more with goat cheese than I thought possible.  My go-to quesadillas include chicken al carbon from a local stand with the accompanying onions and peppers and whatever goat cheese is in my fridge.  I toast the filled flour tortillas on my gas grill until the goat cheese is warm and soft....that's lonche!   

While I am usually firmly in the camp of 'no cheese with seafood,' goat cheese on top of grilled shrimp served over fresh pasta with just a drizzle of olive oil and blistered cherry tomatoes and fresh basit, works for us.