• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Thanks for the Crepes

Thanks for the Crepes

On 11/25/2018 at 10:58 AM, ElsieD said:

I just bought the B.T.C Old Fashioned Grocery Cookbook.  For some of the recipes it tells me to use Hoop cheese.  I have never heard of or seen Hoop cheese.  Further googling as to what I can substitute for this ranges from cottage cheese to sharp cheddar.  Is there anyone following this cheese thread who knows what the best substitute might be?  This book uses it in quite a few of their recipes.  Perhaps @kayb?

Hoop cheese here is a mild to medium cheddar style that I like quite a bit. It usually comes in big red wax-covered wheels with the wax over cheesecloth. I love this cheese, but I don't think the eG crowd would find it adventurous. It seems to melt a little creamier than cheddar, but otherwise is very similar except it is not made with salt, so it spoils much quicker than cheddar.

Here's a link to to more information. Here we can buy it in plastic-wrapped wedges in the meat case next to the ground chuck. It does melt great on a cheeseburger.

Cottage cheese is not a substitute. Cheddar will work, but I wouldn't go sharp. Mild might work better.

Edit:

I just saw @lemniscate's post and realize that she/he is right. Colby longhorn is the closest thing most folks can get to hoop cheese. The teeny holes, the creamier melting, the lower salt than cheddar. That is the correct answer!

So @ElsieD,

If you are still looking to make some of these hoop cheese recipes from your book leminscate has the right answer, and you will probably be able to find Colby longhorn locally.

Thanks for the Crepes

Thanks for the Crepes

On 11/25/2018 at 10:58 AM, ElsieD said:

I just bought the B.T.C Old Fashioned Grocery Cookbook.  For some of the recipes it tells me to use Hoop cheese.  I have never heard of or seen Hoop cheese.  Further googling as to what I can substitute for this ranges from cottage cheese to sharp cheddar.  Is there anyone following this cheese thread who knows what the best substitute might be?  This book uses it in quite a few of their recipes.  Perhaps @kayb?

Hoop cheese here is a mild to medium cheddar style that I like quite a bit. It usually comes in big red wax-covered wheels with the wax over cheesecloth. I love this cheese, but I don't think the eG crowd would find it adventurous. It seems to melt a little creamier than cheddar, but otherwise is very similar except it is not made with salt, so it spoils much quicker than cheddar.

Here's a link to to more information. Here we can buy it in plastic-wrapped wedges in the meat case next to the ground chuck. It does melt great on a cheeseburger.

Cottage cheese is not a substitute. Cheddar will work, but I wouldn't go sharp. Mild might work better.