• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

lemniscate

lemniscate

5 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I just bought the B.T.C Old Fashioned Grocery Cookbook.  For some of the recipes it tells me to use Hoop cheese.  I have never heard of or seen Hoop cheese.  Further googling as to what I can substitute for this ranges from cottage cheese to sharp cheddar.  Is there anyone following this cheese thread who knows what the best substitute might be?  This book uses it in quite a few of their recipes.  Perhaps @kayb?

I remember hoop cheese or we called it "store cheese" as a round orange cheddar-like cheese that was sliced for sandwiches.  It had small irregular holes.  I think it was 5-6" in diameter because one slice covered the bread and then some.  The entire cheese was maybe 18" long?

Longhorn or colby is closest to taste to what I remember from Walt's Five Points Market back in the day.

I think it was called hoop because of the form that was used to make it possibly?

lemniscate

lemniscate

5 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I just bought the B.T.C Old Fashioned Grocery Cookbook.  For some of the recipes it tells me to use Hoop cheese.  I have never heard of or seen Hoop cheese.  Further googling as to what I can substitute for this ranges from cottage cheese to sharp cheddar.  Is there anyone following this cheese thread who knows what the best substitute might be?  This book uses it in quite a few of their recipes.  Perhaps @kayb?

I remember hoop cheese or we called it "store cheese" as a round orange cheddar-like cheese that was sliced for sandwiches.  It had small irregular holes.  I think it was 5-6" in diameter because on slice covered the bread and then some.  The entire cheese was maybe 18" long?

Longhorn or colby is closest to taste to what I remember from Walt's Five Points Market back in the day.

I think it was called hoop because of the form that was used to make it possibly?