• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cheese I can’t do without

gfweb

@TicTac

I probably have  but can't remember specifically

looks like a winner to me

any cheese made a Saint cantle bad.

Ill look for it.

I limit myself to TJ's at the moment these days.  ease of use.

I have some " supreme "  Brie ripening on the shelf as I write.

it says "  Keep refrigerated " on it.

Unknown-1.jpeg.66d80e86ece8e3b50294490e01998f14.jpeg

its cold in the kitchen in the winter here , and it doesn't ripen much.

in the spring and summer :   it talks to you every time you open the cabinet.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, lemniscate said:

I love Cahill's Porter Cheddar from County Limerick, but can't find it anymore.  Costco had it for a while, then Whole Foods carried it, but now that's gone out of their case also.  TJ's carries a inferior knock-off once in a while.  It's not good.

I think its mosaic look is one of the prettiest cheeses also.

Have had the Cahill's from a cheese store down in West Cape May NJ.  

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I just bought the B.T.C Old Fashioned Grocery Cookbook.  For some of the recipes it tells me to use Hoop cheese.  I have never heard of or seen Hoop cheese.  Further googling as to what I can substitute for this ranges from cottage cheese to sharp cheddar.  Is there anyone following this cheese thread who knows what the best substitute might be?  This book uses it in quite a few of their recipes.  Perhaps @kayb?

Edited by ElsieD (log)

this thread should be banned !

I was thinking of blue cheeses , and of course the real deal Roquefort

my fathers favorite cheese.  room temp of course

and how well Roquefort pairs with a full bodied big flavor Red ( dry , no oak please ! )

now I have to find a bottle of red soon and have a swig or Ill go crazy !

I do have one of course , just a few feet away.

P.S.: worked like a charm.  just s few sips.

interesting.  no longer have Roquefort nor Red Wine on my mind.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

Hoop cheese, wow that brings back a memory .  My folks used to make a hoop cheese omelet.  It was more like a souffle in that you beat the egg whites and carefully folded them into the yolks and cubed cheese.  They always topped it with sour cream and apricot jam.  We used a brand put out by Knudson.  They may well still make cream cheese and sour cream but I'm no longer in their area.  I've tried substituting but nothing really works.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

I just bought the B.T.C Old Fashioned Grocery Cookbook.  For some of the recipes it tells me to use Hoop cheese.  I have never heard of or seen Hoop cheese.  Further googling as to what I can substitute for this ranges from cottage cheese to sharp cheddar.  Is there anyone following this cheese thread who knows what the best substitute might be?  This book uses it in quite a few of their recipes.  Perhaps @kayb?

The new  immigrants ran up against this when they went to make cheese strudel (sweet). We used large curd cottage cheese, drained, and bound with a bit of egg. I've seen some online recipes use cottage + cream cheese, but cream cheese was for cheesecake in our world. I've also seen queso blanco used. Today the Mexican style is available everywhere around here, but back then - nope.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, heidih said:

The new  immigrants ran up against this when they went to make cheese strudel (sweet). We used large curd cottage cheese, drained, and bound with a bit of egg. I've seen some online recipes use cottage + cream cheese, but cream cheese was for cheesecake in our world. I've also seen queso blanco used. Today the Mexican style is available everywhere around here, but back then - nope.

Well 'everywhere' may likely be where Elsie lives in a major Canadian city...but it sure ain't where I live...outside a small city which is more like an overgrown town and very non-cosmopolitan.  And in Canada, Kensington market in Toronto is the place to go for the real basics of Mexican ingredients.

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

14 hours ago, Porthos said:

@kayb  I accidentally left out a detail. I keep a bag in the refrigerator and pull another out from the freezer when the previous one is empty.

I use my Cuisinart with a DLC-837TX Medium shredding disc. I work in 1/2 lb increments, bagging each 1/2 lb and then shredding the next 1/2 etc. I don't pack the cheese down, just drop each 1/2 lb in to an individual  quart Ziploc. I gently flatten out each bag and close. I don't have problems with clumping.

Thanks. Buying the five-pound chunk next time I'm in Sam's.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

4 minutes ago, TicTac said:

@rotuts - If you are a fan of blue cheeses, I have found Saint Agur (and I believe @Anna N agrees with me on this one) to be at the top of the game in terms of desired level of 'funk' and texture.

Report back if you do get your hands on some.

Love it!  

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

10 hours ago, nickrey said:

Ossau Iraty. Hands down. The cheese eaten in Paradise.

Indeed. It is a rare treat but what a treat!

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

5 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I remember hoop cheese or we called it "store cheese" as a round orange cheddar-like cheese that was sliced for sandwiches.  It had small irregular holes.  I think it was 5-6" in diameter because one slice covered the bread and then some.  The entire cheese was maybe 18" long?

Longhorn or colby is closest to taste to what I remember from Walt's Five Points Market back in the day.

I think it was called hoop because of the form that was used to make it possibly?

Edited by lemniscate (log)
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

Cornish Kern. Worlds Best Cheese 2017

I can live without it. 

To be fair to the cheese, I believe although I got it cut from a wheel at a well respected fromagerie - I think it was stale. Which is very sad at $120 a kg. 

I don't understand these awards.  How can you have a world's best cheese?  They're all so different.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, jmacnaughtan said:

I don't understand these awards.  How can you have a world's best cheese?  They're all so different.

I suppose one might be able to argue for a “best in class” prize but even then each cheese is unique.   Very often it seems each iteration of the cheese is unique. Perhaps that’s why we cheese lovers love them! 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

55 minutes ago, jmacnaughtan said:

Reminds me of an acquaintance who was starting a new vodka brand.  He put together a vodka tasting panel with a august-sounding name...his brand won...and he then took out ads saying it was the new World's Best Vodka.  Made a bunch of money.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

@jmacnaughtan

thank you for your clarity.

"" Best "" these days

w the typing with both of your Thumbs

[ I have no issue with this .............  but .............. ]

is simple a Commercial EnterPrise  

no matter

Best is what you taken some time to procure

and Put in Your Mouth

there are still issues

Only After Dinner , i.e. after the Desert

pls not before

and  the Agent that get's into Your Mouth 

that a separate issure

Its Your Cheese

as is your Personal Beverage.

I agree fully on all aspects of taste being subjective. Whether it is the winning scone at a country fete, the award winning pie at the bakery, the worlds best ham - whatever. It is never going to please everyone, and as @Anna N mentioned no two things are truly identical in taste, my example of the Cornish Kern is just that, spoiled perhaps by environmental factors - or just not for me.

What makes me laugh is I didn't KNOW it was supposed to be the 'Worlds Best Cheese' it was picked because it was from Cornwall and usually, I'm a fan of Cornish Cheese!

I found that article when I googled how you were supposed to eat Cornish Kern because it sure as heck wasn't a nibbling cheese! 🤣

• Like 2

Stars of my Weekend. 

At the front we have Snowdonia Black Bomber. A proper punch you in the tongue sharp Cheddar that I cannot live without. 

9 O'clock is Fromage d'Affinois sort of a quick Brie, only about 30 days old, super soft and one of my favs - husband hates it. 

12 o'clock is an American (by way of the Netherlands) Midnight Moon goats cheese, its tied as my fav semi hard goats at the moment. 

5 past 12 sees an Australian King Island double Brie.. a bit of a 'Meh'. 

Jambon Serrano for me, biscuits and hurt your eyes spicy sausage for the husband. 

Unpictured, grapes, lots and lots of liquid grapes. 

( I'm a cheese lover not a connoisseur - so forgive my rubbish descriptions) 

20181127_184458.thumb.jpg.797be7d209c13c2eea743820e60be301.jpg

• Like 7