• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Teatime in Narnia: Mr. Tumnus' Burnt Sugar Cake

Scones&Rain

IMG_2601.thumb.jpg.15284d911384cf2d7ebc1df9d889bab7.jpg

My treat this week was a step into the wardrobe.  C.S. Lewis has been a favorite of mine since childhood, and I have always wished I could find myself in the middle of a wintry wood and bump into Mr. Tumnus with an armful of packages.  Then he'd invite me to a scrumptious tea by a hearth, and fill my soul with tea cakes and magical tales.  

I found this recipe for Mr. Tumnus' Burnt Sugar cake and there was no question that I had to try it.  Here is the link to the recipe: http://yummy-books.com/2012/07/24/tea-with-mr-tumnus/

I topped the cake with my own creative twists, specifically the cherries and the nuts.   It's a delicious cake.  The burnt sugar really comes through the flavor, it's not overly sweet but rich in flavor.  And so moist and decadent!  

I will definitely be making this again, probably as cupcakes next time.
  • Like 3
  • Delicious 1