• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

8lb Trussed Turkey Breast.

FeChef

I deboned a Turkey breast and trussed it. It weighs 8 lbs deboned and trussed. Circumference is somewhere arounf 6 inches, skin still intact. I plan to deep fry in a XL turkey fryer. Having a hard time finding a time for just a turkey breast this large. The better part of my judgment is telling me don't count this as a 8 lb whole turkey. Any help would save my thanksgiving dinner.

By the way this Turkey was a Monster at almost 23 lbs before i removed the breast.

Edited by FeChef (log)

Just to set an example. its 15 min per pound for whole Turkeys. And that works great for whole turkeys. But going by that rule, i am looking at a fully submerged turkey breasts for 2 hours. I am getting a red flag, that's going to be shoe leather

Found some info that suggests 7 min per pound for bone in turkey breast. I removed the bone, but since its trussed, i think that time is accurate. 

So i am thinking 56 minutes vs 2 hours is about right. Anyone want to chime in  please do.

Edited by FeChef (log)