• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Le Creuset -- is it worth it?

Orbit

I'd say it depends on what you want to use it for.  I have a 2.75 qt LC oval Dutch/French oven and use it often.  It's good for cooking a pound of dry beans, for example. 

It's rather too small for baking loaves of no-knead bread. 

Edited to add that Amazon helpfully informed me that I paid $79.99 for it back in 2006.

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 2

Yep, I went with 5 qt (4.7l) dish and just filled it almost to the brim... Mind you, the dishes cooked in thise kind of pots are always better when reheated (stews, braises, &c), so bigger pots seem to be a better option IMHO.

Cooking for a co-worker celebration of me getting a permanent job in high school- first part of the job done (pollo a cacciatore, my version):

IMG_20181126_230335.jpg

A cigarette is the perfect type of a perfect pleasure. It is exquisite, and it leaves one unsatisfied. What more can one want?  - Oscar Wilde