• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

highchef

highchef

gouda vs cheddar

I was born and raised in the south, but my parents are from Boston. Cheddar cheese was a must for them. I love it with ice cream too, but have moved more toward cheddar as I get older for less calories. Maybe that's why this recipe struck a chord with me- I think mom and dad would have loved it. I just don't know what to do about the sage.

Agree the WSJ article is a good one. The recipes seem concise and well written (down to psi almost!) and I am anxious to try the cranberry. I'll make both crusts and we'll have the cranberry for Thursday and some variant of apple- will definitely do the cheese crust but maybe leave out the sage unless I get inspired.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone, and thanks for replying. 

highchef

highchef

I was born and raised in the south, but my parents are from Boston. Cheddar cheese was a must for them. I love it with ice cream too, but have moved more toward cheddar as I get older for less calories. Maybe that's why this recipe struck a chord with me- I think mom and dad would have loved it. I just don't know what to do about the sage.

Agree the WSJ article is a good one. The recipes seem concise and well written (down to psi almost!) and I am anxious to try the cranberry. I'll make both crusts and we'll have the cranberry for Thursday and some variant of apple- will definitely do the cheddar crust but maybe leave out the sage unless I get inspired.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone, and thanks for replying.