• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Orange bacon

SLB

Heads up, I was recently in Central Florida, and happened upon some deliciousness that everyone needs to know about.  A grocery store in Melbourne called "Lucky's" -- I have no idea if it's a chain, I'm not a Floridian and am not there often -- anyway, Lucky's smokes their own bacon in-house.  One of the thick-cut options has been finished in a honey-orange cure, and let's just say, it's one of the most wondrous things I have ever encountered involving Florida's wonderful oranges.  

I brought home seven pounds of it.  The pepper bacon was also good, but I didn't feel the need to bring any home.  That orange bacon, though?  Goodgawdalmighty.

Orange bacon, y'all.  Don't miss it.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

wondering if you could ' paint ' some high quality orange marmalade on good quality

ie Beton's , Father's etc

bacon at the end of cooking.

or lightly coat and use the oven method of cooking ?

sounds delightful

We had a Lucky's here for about a year. Sadly, it closed. Lots of really good bacon and lots of locally grown produce. Excellent olive and cheese bars. I miss it. 

I never saw orange bacon. 

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

On 11/17/2018 at 2:34 PM, Lisa Shock said:

This has me wondering about adding orange peels to the brine for corned beef.

I have done this with zest on a dry rub cured CB.  Not a classic taste, but nice

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 1

On 11/17/2018 at 8:32 AM, rotuts said:

wondering if you could ' paint ' some high quality orange marmalade on good quality

ie Beton's , Father's etc

bacon at the end of cooking.

or lightly coat and use the oven method of cooking ?

sounds delightful

I candy bacon by pouring sugar over it at the end of frying.  Cook some and it’s done. This ought to work w Or marm 

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 1

@rotuts I just tested the marmalade Rx of bacon. The water in the marm foiled adherence of the marm to the hot oily bacon. It was a damp sl sweet bacon with little orange taste.  But still bacon which was fine to eat. 

Maybe sugar w orange zest would work.  

• Thanks 2

I'll probably try corning a couple of chicken breasts, instead of a giant brisket, to test out my idea. I understand that fats don't really travel inside of meats, that's why they are useless in marinades. But, I am hoping that some part of the flavor components of the orange peel will work. I've been to two grocers this week, neither had any chicken in stock -it was all turkeys. So, I'll have info at some point, but it's going to take longer than I expected.

• Like 2