• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Menu Suggestions for New Dessert Joint

prashamk

Not sure if this is helpful or not.  On one hand, you say you want to focus on waffles and doughnuts and on the other hand, you are asking for other dessert items to add to the menu so I'll throw this out there.

I don't have much of a sweet tooth so I'd be unlikely to frequent a dessert-only spot on my own but if I was with friends who were so inclined, I'd appreciate finding some less-sweet or even savory options. 

You may already be planning savory options for the waffles.  Even if your focus is desserts, someone like me would appreciate the savory options, like the ones offered at this waffle place.

Have you considered crêpes?  Lots of options for sweet and savory versions, as can be seen in this menu from a place near me.

Savory pastry - if you do anything based on puff pastry (either homemade or purchased frozen), you could offer little spinach, mushroom or cheese tarts in addition to sweet pastries.

Small items like cookies or biscuits that might be offered either with or without icing.  If you're going to offer ice cream eventually, the cookies/biscuits can be used to make ice cream sandwiches.

Fresh fruit bowls would be a nice option as well.

Edited by blue_dolphin
to add link (log)
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, prashamk said:

Entreprenuer is someone who jumps off the cliff and tries to learn flying before he hits the ground. I run a factory producing precision components for textile and automobile industry and I've followed the proverb for last 15 years with decent success. 

Yes neither me nor my wife has extensive culinary experience but I have passion for cooking new things and she wants to make some money out of her spare time. She has taken a class in making cakes and later learned making different kinds of chocolates with help of internet. Both of us are quick learner and can work hard to achieve goals. 3 days back, we made 1600 pcs of chocolate (8 gram each & in 4 flavours), wrapped them in foil and delivered it to the customer in just 2 days, without any external help. Also we have decided that she will take another class depending on the experience from our dessert joint. 

As far as success is concerned, I've tried to limit the menu items to the ones we are either already producing or are pretty simple as premixes are readily available. I believe i've prepared enough to take the plunge. 

I understand that this members of this forum look upon other members are their friends/family and are concerned with their actions. I am glad to be part of this forum :)

Once again I request the experts to suggest other dessert items that I can add to the menu without much hassle. 

I wish you the very best of luck!

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

3 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I don't have much of a sweet tooth so I'd be unlikely to frequent a dessert-only spot on my own but if I was with friends who were so inclined, I'd appreciate finding some less-sweet or even savory options. 

You may already be planning savory options for the waffles.  Even if your focus is desserts, someone like me would appreciate the savory options 

I'll second this.  When my friends rush the sweets counter can can feel pretty put out if there is not something savory or at least  less sweet (example - biscotti) but also tasty. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

Nah, vegan baking is super easy. He’s got a mix!  Also, desserts sell themselves. Kick back and watch the money roll in, that’s what I do!*

*not really 😖😉

Don't forget that this is all going to happen in the wife's spare time... (forget about the hours of prep work prior to opening every day, long workdays as the norm, constant practicing of skills like piping, or having production speed standards -not to mention needing to know how to hire speedy, knowledgeable employees who already have thousands of hours of piping, shaping, pulling, etc. experience under their belts)

• Like 2