• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

jackmash

Can someone please tell me how to make good espresso?

possibly the grinder warms the beans just enough so they are above freezing when ground

a really good grinder adds as little heat as possible to the final product.

that wonderful smell of freshly ground coffee ?

you want that in your espresso.

so many conundrums here @ eG.

what I would't do is add Fz beans to the grinder's hopper.

sometimes I forget to roast.

I have Fz whole Vac's beans in the freezer.

I add the sealed pack to tap water and they thaw quickly to Room Temp

then I add those dry beans to the hopper.

The moisture content of roasted coffee is so low that I doubt frozen beans are especially tough. They're also not immune to changing. Freezing and vacuum packing slow down the changes but don't stop them. 

There's a new trend at the super high-end ... freezing green coffee beans in sealed bags, for storage and shipping to the roaster. Some are arguing that this will preserve more flavor. I have no doubt they're going to charge us for it!

Edited by paulraphael (log)

Sweet Maria  had something to say about newer bags a while ago , but I can't recall if freezing was part of the newer process