Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

liuzhou

The world’s most expensive ham

Recommended Posts

We will be in the Sierra de Aracena in March.  I fear, though, that all his product goes to the big cities around the world and that none will be available in local restaurants.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I beg to differ. I believe the world's most expensive ham is the Kentucky grand champion ham, sold annually at auction. See story, here. For the last several years, it's been a Broadbent ham. You can order a non-competition ham from their website. clickety Good stuff.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, kayb said:

I beg to differ. I believe the world's most expensive ham is the Kentucky grand champion ham, sold annually at auction. See story, here. For the last several years, it's been a Broadbent ham. You can order a non-competition ham from their website. clickety Good stuff.

For many years we went to the Kentucky State Fair to the horse show.  Part of the trip was a must to go see the Grand Champion Hams in the winners display case.  We never went to the auction breakfast, but watched it on TV in our hotel rooms.  And the Broadbent is very good. You'd never see it here in the Northwest, but I loved going to the local grocery store in Louisville by the fair grounds where you could buy all sorts of country ham products, including Broadbents.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, David Ross said:

For many years we went to the Kentucky State Fair to the horse show.  Part of the trip was a must to go see the Grand Champion Hams in the winners display case.  We never went to the auction breakfast, but watched it on TV in our hotel rooms.  And the Broadbent is very good. You'd never see it here in the Northwest, but I loved going to the local grocery store in Louisville by the fair grounds where you could buy all sorts of country ham products, including Broadbents.

 

I order almost every year from their website. I tend to order biscuit slices and breakfast steaks; the dinner steaks are SO damn big.

 

A combo of that ham and "city ham" leftover from Christmas, all minced up, makes a phenomenal deviled ham spread.

 

And I always save a package of biscuit slices to have ham and biscuits on Derby Day.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, kayb said:

 

I order almost every year from their website. I tend to order biscuit slices and breakfast steaks; the dinner steaks are SO damn big.

 

A combo of that ham and "city ham" leftover from Christmas, all minced up, makes a phenomenal deviled ham spread.

 

And I always save a package of biscuit slices to have ham and biscuits on Derby Day.

 

That's wonderful.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@kayb

 

thanks for the tip.

 

Ive bookmarked it !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/17/2018 at 7:36 AM, rotuts said:

@kayb

 

thanks for the tip.

 

Ive bookmarked it !

The discussion inspired me to order, being that I have gone through my stash. Breakfast steaks, biscuit pieces, some sausage and a seasoning combo package.

 

Should be here sometime this week.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having read the links posted above, and a few more I found regarding country hams, I’ve taken the plunge and ordered some broadbents goodies. Amazing that they will deliver to the UK and for a pretty reasonable price too. 

 

Any recommendations for a country ham novice on how to eat/what to eat with?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, biscuits are always a good bet.  And redeye gravy. In the grease left in the skillet where you fried the ham, fry a tablespoon or two of flour to make a dark roux. Add strong black coffee. Gravy should be thin. Scrambled eggs are a fine accompaniment as well.

 

For the dinner steaks, or for an evening meal, country ham is good with home fries and maybe green beans. 

 

Use it anywhere you would use proscuitto, although it's sliced thicker.

 


Edited by kayb (log)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just had a very sad email from broadbents - their website was messed up and shouldn’t have allowed me to order as they don’t ship outside the states 🙁

 

no ham ham for me 

  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/15/2018 at 7:10 AM, Meanderer said:

We will be in the Sierra de Aracena in March.  I fear, though, that all his product goes to the big cities around the world and that none will be available in local restaurants.

I might disagree with this also.  The US FDA only allows import of 2 brands of jamon iberico de bellota, and they're both relatively mass produced "supermarket" bellota in Spain.  The last time I was in Spain, I found that the best stuff never left the area...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Broadbent's order came in today; I hadn't expected it so quickly. I guess I thought Thanksgiving would have delayed it, but perhaps they thought I was counting for it for my holiday dinner. I'm not, but it'll surely make some good ham and biscuits over the long weekend.

 

broadbent.jpg.1f7cb6a897c1262915bd653d269c9fe7.jpg

 

Yum. I may be more excited about day-after-Thanksgiving breakfast than I am Thanksgiving dinner. 

 

This is, btw, something less than $100 worth of country ham. Plus shipping, which is not outrageous.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/19/2018 at 7:58 PM, KennethT said:

The last time I was in Spain, I found that the best stuff never left the area...

 

Yeah, seems to definitely apply to olive oil and such too!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those who are 'living lean' , i recommend this ham, great for Jambon, Fromage au Buerre, recommended by Soldiers.

Torchon Ham (Deli Contnental) Aldi

 

£1.59:

 

 

 

 

Torchon-Ham-A.jpg


Edited by naguere (log)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×