• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Black onion powder - uses?

GRoston

This past weekend, we visited a small spice shop in Dearborn that has a number of Yemeni spice blends and the like. One item I purchased, because it smelled good and sounded interesting, is black onion powder. However, I cannot find any information about this product on-line. Can you please point me to some recipes that use it? Or, did I mishear/misunderstand the sales clerk?

Thanks.

Lisa - Thanks so much for sharing that video. I wonder why my searches didn't turn it up?

Now that I understand what it is, lots of usage ideas come to mind. I am willing to bet that if one dried the onions in a smoker, as opposed to an oven, the resulting power would be even better...

• Like 1