• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Do I need to cook this?

Kim Shook

I am planning on serving this ham for our Christmas Eve open house.  My plan is sliced thin, room temperature with rolls.  I should know this already, but do I really need to cook this, if it is going to be served room temperature?  I know that it is safe to not heat it, but is there some flavor component that I'd be missing if I didn't?

FWIW, I always cook/glaze my fully cooked hams. 20 minutes per pound at 300F. I know it's not necessary, but to me, both taste and texture are better.

I glaze very simply. Rub plain old yellow ballpark mustard all over the ham. Take brown sugar, add a little nutmeg and ground cloves if you wish, and pat that all over the ham to form a thick coating. Mist with bourbon. Into the oven. I don't baste while it's cooking/reheating.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I agrree with Kayb.  I don't car for ham but did them when I entertained alot and quite a few of my guests enjoyed ham. We have tasted them "un-baked" and in our family we didn't bake. To me it had a kind of flaccid bologna texture

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

I should know this already, but do I really need to cook this, if it is going to be served room temperature? 

I'd say don't heat it/cook it since it's already fully cooked.

It's the same with the Costco Turkey breasts you can buy. They're fully cooked. You can just start slicing it up at room temperature. The turkey breast does have reheating instructions on the packaging if you want it hot but who wants to wait an hour while it heats up? 

As for your original question, I think you're good to go as is for the ham.

edited to remove the unnecessary. 

Edited by Toliver
edited to remove the unnecessary verbage (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

2 minutes ago, Toliver said:

I'd say don't heat it/cook it since it's already fully cooked.

It's the same with the Costco Turkey breasts you can buy. They're fully cooked. You can just start slicing it up at room temperature. The turkey breast does have reheating instructions on the packaging if you want it hot but who wants to wait an hour while it heats up? 

As for your original question, I think you're good to go as is for the ham.

edited to remove the unnecessary. 

That was kind of my thought, too.  However, some folks might sneak into the kitchen and heat it a bit in the microwave.  I think in that case, a glaze might be tasty.  

3 hours ago, rotuts said:

micro'ing a fully cooked ham will ruin it

it will contract and be very tough.

you might bring it to room temp

glaze a side , then carefully broil that side for the glaze , the slice ?

NO!  I wouldn't microwave it at all.  What I meant was that some of our guests might slip into the kitchen and microwave a slice for themselves.  

ID put up a sign on your Micro :

Out of Order.

how do i know this ?

a long time ago my mother used to get a HoneyBakedHam

to have around for sandwiches when I was home from college.  

back when HBH were new and I think better than they are now.

I tried that once for a hot ham and swiss.

swiss did OK , HBH  not so well.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Haha 1

I learned something new from Honey Baked Hams. A friend had a death in the family and I bought them a Honey Baked Ham dinner. The instructions for the ham said it was fully cooked and to NOT reheat it in the oven. Instead, they recommended slicing off the portion needed and either heat it in the microwave or wrap the slices in foil and heat that in the oven. 

Reheating the entire spiral-sliced ham will dry it out. Which is why my Mom had disdain for spiral-sliced hams. She always found them too dry. This "new" method of re-heating the ham changed her mind about them.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

1 hour ago, Toliver said:

I learned something new from Honey Baked Hams. A friend had a death in the family and I bought them a Honey Baked Ham dinner. The instructions for the ham said it was fully cooked and to NOT reheat it in the oven. Instead, they recommended slicing off the portion needed and either heat it in the microwave or wrap the slices in foil and heat that in the oven. 

Reheating the entire spiral-sliced ham will dry it out. Which is why my Mom had disdain for spiral-sliced hams. She always found them too dry. This "new" method of re-heating the ham changed her mind about them.

I'm thinking that the steam bake option on the CSO is probably my best option.  These hams are small enough to fit.

• Like 2