• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sous Vide Chuck Roast: The Topic

FourMat

There is so many different Muscles..in a chuck roast/  I would either part it out into IM and do those separately 

or look at a different cut that is a IM ---.  Maybe Tri-tip

Thats just me.

Me I would do 150-155 cook and check as u go  say 12 hrs/ 16/ 24.  I do rib caps @ 145 and I think they would be to red .

Its good to have Morels

1 minute ago, Paul Bacino said:

There is so many different Muscles..in a chuck roast/  I would either part it out into IM and do those separately 

or look at a different cut that is a IM ---.  Maybe Tri-tip

Thats just me.

Me I would do 150-155 cook and check as u go  say 12 hrs/ 16/ 24.  I do rib caps @ 145 and I think they would be to red .

What is IM? Tri-tip is not available in my area. We have Costco's, RD's, BJ's, Sams, and a few mom and pops. None of them carry it, and lets just forget about "special order" its already an over priced cut from what ive heard.

Other then TT, do you suggest another cut?

I was thinking brisket (point only) but then i have to buy a whole packer.

2 hours ago, FeChef said:

What is IM? Tri-tip is not available in my area. We have Costco's, RD's, BJ's, Sams, and a few mom and pops. None of them carry it, and lets just forget about "special order" its already an over priced cut from what ive heard.

IM=Individual Muscle

Think the seperations between a chicken main breast and chicken tender,  its a natural separation from fascia tissue.  Since Chuck has so many IM,  its going to be rough , my thoughts

I would consider maybe a short ribs or a round.  I have done round cuts that with a longer cook were awesome, or its fun dissecting chuck roast I do it all the time

Brisket sounds good thou too

Paul

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)

Its good to have Morels

31 minutes ago, Paul Bacino said:

IM=Individual Muscle

Think the seperations between a chicken main breast and chicken tender,  its a natural separation from fascia tissue.  Since Chuck has so many IM,  its going to be rough , my thoughts

I would consider maybe a short ribs or a round.  I have done round cuts that with a longer cook were awesome, or its fun dissecting chuck roast I do it all the time

Paul

Yes boneless short rib slabs would be the best possible option, but not the most affordable. I think last time i priced them they were $6.99/lb for choice. Sure it would be a great test cut, but for my purposes, i need it to be in the $3-$4/lb range. As far as round, i think it would be too lean.  Do you have any experience with shoulder clod? I know there is a lot of individual muscles but i wonder if they are a better option then chuck.

1 minute ago, FeChef said:

Yes boneless short rib slabs would be the best possible option, but not the most affordable. I think last time i priced them they were $6.99/lb for choice. Sure it would be a great test cut, but for my purposes, i need it to be in the $3-$4/lb range. As far as round, i think it would be too lean.  Do you have any experience with shoulder clod? I know there is a lot of individual muscles but i wonder if they are a better option then chuck.

No i dont-  

Its good to have Morels

I have done eye of round sous vide although at a lower temperature than you want to do.  Sliced thinly, across the grain,  it was nice and tender.  Some people don't find it "beefy" enough but we enjoyed it.

1 minute ago, ElsieD said:

I have done eye of round sous vide although at a lower temperature than you want to do.  Sliced thinly, across the grain,  it was nice and tender.  Some people don't find it "beefy" enough but we enjoyed it.

Eye is so lean i use it exclusively for beef jerky. I could see it being tender at very low temps, but for my purposes, i need to have these thin slices in a liquid atleast 150F so eye would be extremely dry, practically choking hazard dry.

On 11/12/2018 at 5:10 PM, FeChef said:

Eye is so lean i use it exclusively for beef jerky. I could see it being tender at very low temps, but for my purposes, i need to have these thin slices in a liquid atleast 150F so eye would be extremely dry, practically choking hazard dry.

I have 2 eye of rounds in the freezer slated for beef jerky at the moment.   I like really tender jerky so will beat the slices silly with a meat hammer before curing and drying

On 11/12/2018 at 2:35 PM, FeChef said:

Whole foods and Wegman's carry tritip in my area

And for what it's worth, I also can't recommend the ChefSteps bag juice pan sauce technique that they do in that video. I've never gotten good results that way, as there's too much gunk and protein and nastiness in the straight-up bag juice. But if you bring it to a boil, it'll form its own raft and clarify itself; after straining, you get crystal clear jus that can be used however you want.

Ive done Tri-Tip a few times, SV

its a once cut , but what i look for

is Blade Roasts , then they  are on sale.

needs a bit of knife work , but the flavor is better to me than Tri-Tip

they are hard to come by

but

@FeChef

do the Chuck Roast

only if you have a good butcher

that can give you the identical cut 

that was in the Vid.

yoy would be surprised what is sod as

Chuck Roast

CS of course has a very good butcher to deal with.

6 hours ago, rotuts said:

Ive done Tri-Tip a few times, SV

its a once cut , but what i look for

is Blade Roasts , then they  are on sale.

needs a bit of knife work , but the flavor is better to me than Tri-Tip

they are hard to come by

but

@FeChef

do the Chuck Roast

only if you have a good butcher

that can give you the identical cut 

that was in the Vid.

yoy would be surprised what is sod as

Chuck Roast

CS of course has a very good butcher to deal with.

I have been doing some research on chuck rolls and i have noticed there is about 2-3 good cuts off a chuck roll until its gets to tougher muscles. I learned i should avoid what is called the denver muscle, as i have notices this muscle takes longer to break down and is leaner then the chuck eye. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know what temp dissolves fat? 160F for 24 hours breaks down to the point the IM's pull apart, but fat is still present. I can reach same results by low and slow till 210F where fat is completely broken down but IM is on the dry side and is pull apart. There has to be a sweet spot where the fat breaks down, the IM is still sliceable, and is not completely dried out.

Edited by FeChef (log)

1 hour ago, FeChef said:

I guess take a knife to a 6 inch thick chuck eye roast, cut the fat out, and find a sweet spot temp that is still sliceable. 

Thoughts on 155F for 24 hours?

24h worked like a charm for me, albeit at 135F ... this however, was just a slice of said roast, so you need to adjust the  cooking time, depending on thickness.

Edited by Duvel (log)

If you want chuck roast without the fat, you're looking for a different animal than I've ever seen. 135 for 24 hours will give a solid cook, breakdown of collagen but the fat isn't going to render out miraculously. It will cut well when chilled.

I did this for steak for 50 people; cooked, chilled, cut, rebagged then reheated, dried and seared. It's more at the lower end of medium. A few people who were sensitive to fat didn't like it; the others did.

Six inches thick is a difficult cook. What are you using it for? If it's in a gravy/sauce cut the piece into 3 inch thick pieces as it will make life easier and not interfere with enjoyment.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

On 11/26/2018 at 5:51 AM, nickrey said:

If you want chuck roast without the fat, you're looking for a different animal than I've ever seen. 135 for 24 hours will give a solid cook, breakdown of collagen but the fat isn't going to render out miraculously. It will cut well when chilled.

I did this for steak for 50 people; cooked, chilled, cut, rebagged then reheated, dried and seared. It's more at the lower end of medium. A few people who were sensitive to fat didn't like it; the others did.

Six inches thick is a difficult cook. What are you using it for? If it's in a gravy/sauce cut the piece into 3 inch thick pieces as it will make life easier and not interfere with enjoyment.

Yes its for a gravy/sauce. Very thin slices on a commercial slicer. I prefer to keep it in one piece because there is always almost a inch at the end where the slicer can't get which i have to do by hand.

7 hours ago, FeChef said:

Yes its for a gravy/sauce. Very thin slices on a commercial slicer. I prefer to keep it in one piece because there is always almost a inch at the end where the slicer can't get which i have to do by hand.

I meant leaving the piece that long but cutting along the piece of meat to give two thinner pieces that will cook more easily. 

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

7 minutes ago, nickrey said:

I meant leaving the piece that long but cutting along the piece of meat to give two thinner pieces that will cook more easily. 

I suppose that could work. I would like to keep the slices sandwich size though. I am not sure what i would gain by cutting it in half. I think i would just be left with a 4x4 instead of a 4x6 or w/e the actual dimension is with the butchers twine removed.

Yes my math is flawed, but its in the freezer so i cant get actual dimensions right now, just guessing.

Edited by FeChef (log)

• 5 years later...

Had to revist this thread. I finally found the sweet spot for thin sliced chuck roast sandwiches. Trick is to seperate the muscles and remove the fat and sinew before cooking. 149F for 24 hours is the sweet spot, But the most important part is slicing against the grain. Seperating the muscles makes this a lot easier.

20240312_021539.jpg

20240312_021738.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1