• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

frontier chicken?

trillium

So I'm not sure if it's appropriate to post this here or if I should post in the "elsewhere in Asia" section, since what I'm searching for is a Pakistani dish. I apologize in advance and would like to note for the record that I'm aware that India and Pakistan are two different countries. We're missing the cabbie restaurants we used to go to in Chicago and would like to start recreating some of the food we ate there here in Portland. I've been told that the style of food at those restaurants most closely resembled truck stop restaurants in Pakistan. I've had a lot of trouble finding a recipe for the "frontier" style gosht or chicken (I believe the frontier refers to the northwestern area). I remember that it had tomatoes, bell peppers, aka capsicum, and onions but I can't remember the seasoning, just that it tasted really, really good in the wee hours of the morning (yes, our inebriated state while eating it might be why I can't remember enough to recreate it). It did not have yogurt or bananas. Any help?

regards,

trillium

So I'm not sure if it's appropriate to post this here or if I should post in the "elsewhere in Asia" section, since what I'm searching for is a Pakistani dish.  I apologize in advance and would like to note for the record that I'm aware that India and Pakistan are two different countries.  We're missing the cabbie restaurants we used to go to in Chicago and would like to start recreating some of the food we ate there here in Portland.  I've been told that the style of food at those restaurants most closely resembled truck stop restaurants in Pakistan.  I've had a lot of trouble finding a recipe for the "frontier" style gosht or chicken (I believe the frontier refers to the northwestern area).  I remember that it had tomatoes, bell peppers, aka capsicum, and onions but I can't remember the seasoning, just that it tasted really, really good in the wee hours of the morning (yes, our inebriated state while eating it might be why I can't remember enough to recreate it).  It did not have yogurt or bananas.  Any help?

regards,

trillium

It is perfectly appropriate. In fact my signature has Indian Subcontinent Forum written.

What you are talking about are Dhabas (Truck Stops) and all across the northern part of India they are very popular. The ones in Haryana and Punjab have far greater notoriety. And certainly these must have similar food to the ones across the border in Pakistan. Perhaps more meat.

What you describe is akin to what could be called a karahi chicken. It has sauteed bell peppers, chicken, onions and tomatoes with spices. Ginger, garlic, chiles, some fenugreek leaves, cumin seeds and powder, coriander powder and garam masala.

Thank you! I knew it was because I didn't know the real name...in all of the Chicago all-night cabbie restaurants it just goes by "frontier" but I've never seen it on a traditional northern Indian menu.

Do you think dried methi leaves would work here? I have not found fresh ones in Portland yet, but there is another place to check before I give up. Last night we tried our best to make it from memory, but it wasn't quite there. We tossed boneless skinless chunks of chicken thigh with salt, black pepper, cayenne powder and a Panjabi garam masala and then after an hour or so (had to make the chapatis) we partially stir-fried it over really high heat. Stir-fried onions, tomatoes and bell pepper, then added back the partially cooked chicken and let everything get hot together then sprinkled it with cilantro. It was good but I think with your help we can make it better. We ate it with toor dal with a ginger/cumin/chilli tarka and fresh chapatis. The Le Creuset griddle for crepes (not the crep pan) worked really well for the chapatis and I have high hopes of mastering dosai on it.

regards,

trillium

Thank you!  I knew it was because I didn't know the real name...in all of the Chicago all-night cabbie restaurants it just goes by "frontier" but I've never seen it on a traditional northern Indian menu. 

Do you think dried methi leaves would work here?  I have not found fresh ones in Portland yet, but there is another place to check before I give up.  Last night we tried our best to make it from memory, but it wasn't quite there.  We tossed boneless skinless chunks of chicken thigh with salt, black pepper, cayenne powder and a Panjabi garam masala and then after an hour or so (had to make the chapatis) we partially stir-fried it over really high heat.  Stir-fried onions, tomatoes and bell pepper, then added back the partially cooked chicken and let everything get hot together then sprinkled it with cilantro.  It was good but I think with your help we can make it better.  We ate it with toor dal with a ginger/cumin/chilli tarka and fresh chapatis.  The Le Creuset griddle for crepes (not the crep pan) worked really well for the chapatis and I have high hopes of mastering dosai on it.

regards,

trillium

You are welcome.

Please feel free to add Kasoori Methi (packaged, dried fenugreek leaves) to this. In fact restaurants use these most of the time. You need to add only a teaspoon or two. That will be plenty. Some people add a little yogurt to this dish. It gives a nice acidity and also a pleasant richness to the karahi.

You seem to have done all that was required. But do add finely minced ginger and garlic into the oil.

The ginger if fired first with the whole red chiles (if you are using these) and cumin seeds. The next thing added are the other spices (not cayenne), then the garlic and then cayenne and then the other ingredients.

The toor dal and chapaties sound wonderful. I am jealous.

Have fun.. let us know about your further adventures with this recipe.

• 2 weeks later...

It sounds to me as though Pakistani truck drivers eat much better than American truck drivers.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

It sounds to me as though Pakistani truck drivers eat much better than American truck drivers.

Well.. until we get the "Gunga Diner" from the Watchmen comics, I don't think there's going to be a comparable quality of fast food Indian in the US to what India and Pakistan have.

"Long live democracy, free speech and the '69 Mets; all improbable, glorious miracles that I have always believed in."