• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocdoc and eG friends in LaLa Land

Kerry Beal

59 minutes ago, curls said:

Are those chocolate slabs brownies or fudge?

Kerry, congrats on converting Paul to the ways of the EZtemper!!! How is he planning to use it? Daily production?

Brownies - but might as well be fudge I'd say!

He's going to take it back to the team - let them figure out what can be done with it. They melt chocolate in the oven and temper on a slab - can't see that she would fit in with that - but perhaps for ganaches, giandujas etc.  Ruth was watching when I demo'd tempering white chocolate - she says his mouth dropped open.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, gfron1 said:

Looks like this was a small intimate workshop. What, maybe a dozen attendees?

Yup. There usually is only 8, but he allowed more this time.

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

49 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Brownies - but might as well be fudge I'd say!

He's going to take it back to the team - let them figure out what can be done with it. They melt chocolate in the oven and temper on a slab - can't see that she would fit in with that - but perhaps for ganaches, giandujas etc.  Ruth was watching when I demo'd tempering white chocolate - she says his mouth dropped open.

Funniest thing ever! Kerry stirred in the silk and showed it to Paul. She said it is in temper and his jaw actually dropped.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
www.chocolot.com

On 11/12/2018 at 11:54 PM, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_3473.thumb.JPG.136c69e3ce2abf618eebbfbee09e7314.JPG

Donald (the Guittard chef) has a lovely garden outside.

The chocolate stuff is all fine and dandy, but I seriously covet that lemon tree. (You understand that I would never actually touch it myself, for fear of what would happen. I've killed mint. Multiple times.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

2 hours ago, MelissaH said:

The chocolate stuff is all fine and dandy, but I seriously covet that lemon tree. (You understand that I would never actually touch it myself, for fear of what would happen. I've killed mint. Multiple times.)

Come to my house. You can match up with my mint-that-ate-everything, and I'll put my money on the mint.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

11 hours ago, Chocolot said:

Funniest thing ever! Kerry stirred in the silk and showed it to Paul. She said it is in temper and his jaw actually dropped.

If only you had a video or photo of his reaction!

I’m sure his shop is going to have wonderful time experimenting with the EZtemper.

Found a few of Paul Young’s brownie recipes online. Hope to try them out for the next party or office event.

18 hours ago, kayb said:

Come to my house. You can match up with my mint-that-ate-everything, and I'll put my money on the mint.

I'll think about your mint today. That alone might be enough!

• Haha 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

IMG_3559.thumb.jpg.a5a3461f4564fdf20c276875ec55805c.jpg

Cut my brownies today - into much smaller pieces than what we had there!

I made a white miso ganache - put some bits of it in the brownie and the remainder spread on the top after cooling. 

• Like 8

30 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Cut my brownies today

You win. You could have shown the brownies once and walked away and I would have been fine. But nooo. you have closer shots just in case it wasn't clear enough in the other shots just how moist and dense they are. With assurances to Rob that I'm only looking for the brownies, I'm off to google... :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Better late than never:). I finally have a moment to post some of our pix from the class.

Lunch on the first day. Chef Donald fixes everything for us while we are working. GWBYLS and Kerry.

1035319871_FLhsluKDQRa4cOhLSqNWw.thumb.jpg.fec07765b73cc50fe2fe6912ae1dd10e.jpg

2101245831_RN4nLfdETrSVlRf7G3QuA.thumb.jpg.197868e5cfa81b466e0f972163283123.jpg

Keegan Gerhard from the Food Network joined us that day. And of course, Paul Young.

VyAKFb3tTZyYdD6O9yQR8g.thumb.jpg.bc70afa249392966f5666098ad726b93.jpg

Amy Guittard stopped by. (White shirt)

7cZetmH1Tk6woOuAOgtbdg.thumb.jpg.058e0d1b8cd8f0808789a551bcfa2398.jpg

GWBYLS and Kerry enjoying lunch.

2049354689_NveNoWnNRTmvxT1V0AJNQ.thumb.jpg.934d44e9ad60735008d015aabebefd04.jpg

Kerry contemplating her afternoon plans.

oBEu0IbYSOq99Rr6HMTldQ.thumb.jpg.703d2ada8866487f7e8e84978e71eb80.jpg

Bob and Paul

C7EYJsAVSrqisZDtetI29g.thumb.jpg.ba1fb7e7d5ff9d942e780903e2e163e8.jpg

Ruth (Chocolot) and Paul

302508135_wwuX1pWxQPeJsqAvgfcxg.thumb.jpg.f8abe9bf694ff00d8f30e9f754ed109f.jpg

Kerry hard at work

Yz0DdUBcSBm6GSbpZmVz3w.thumb.jpg.7d71c1635443c4f09be18342200ed6a8.jpg

Kerry and new friends,

A7BO6AHeT2CnBeWXCuGEcw.thumb.jpg.19c0c3bc43cc98c2dce6fbe002b9262b.jpg

Bob, GWBYLS, Tamara and Tandem Chocolates.

Edited by Chocolot (log)
  • Like 11

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
www.chocolot.com

On 11/15/2018 at 7:41 PM, Tri2Cook said:

You win. You could have shown the brownies once and walked away and I would have been fine. But nooo. you have closer shots just in case it wasn't clear enough in the other shots just how moist and dense they are. With assurances to Rob that I'm only looking for the brownies, I'm off to google... :D

So the brownies went to work today - they were a big hit.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Didn't have any difficulties finding a couple of his brownie recipes... now I just need to not have any difficulties actually getting around to making them. :D

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

6 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

But I got the off cuts! I did try one but I’m not a fan of brownies in general so I stuck them in the freezer for my grandchild. She  would likely commit a felony in order to get her hands on any kind of brownie. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog