• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shao Xing longevity

KennethT

I just found a bottle of Shao Xing in the back of my refrigerator.  I have no idea how long it's been there, but it can't be any younger than 5 years, but I imagine it's quite a bit older.

How long does this last?  Does it go bad?

Thanks.  It was opened, used very little, then was relegated to the back of the refrigerator where it has remained, hiding.  This bottle was really cheap - I got it in one of the markets in Chinatown.  I also remember it being not very good when first opened, so I think I'll just toss it and get another.

Do all Shao Xing have salt as an ingredient?  What is it supposed to taste like? 

29 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Do all Shao Xing have salt as an ingredient?  What is it supposed to taste like? 

No. Only in America. I understand it is something to do with alcohol licensing regulations to make it undrinkable so allowing it to be sold be stores without an alcohol license.

It is never salted in China. Disgusting idea.

In its natural state, the better "drinking quality" examples taste something like a good sherry, but even the cooking grade is reasonably pleasant to drink, with a complex flavour and a smoky background.

Coincidentally, I have spent the last week translating speeches made at an international conference in Shaoxing this weekend about this very subject.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

26 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Do all Shao Xing have salt as an ingredient?  

If it is going to be sold in grocery stores then I believe the salt overcomes the issue of alcohol in terms of licensing. Salt tends to make it pretty disgusting as a drink. I cannot get it other than the grocery store version.  Our liquor license board does not bring it in for consumption. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

No. Only in America. I understand it is something to do with alcohol licensing regulations to make it undrinkable so allowing it to be sold be stores without an alcohol license.

Cross posting!

• Haha 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

@liuzhou OK - I understand that - alcohol regulations here are a real PITA.... So in your opinion, for me here in the US, would it be better for me to use a dry sherry as opposed to the shao xing that I can get, or just use the shao xing and add less salt?

1 minute ago, KennethT said:

@liuzhou OK - I understand that - alcohol regulations here are a real PITA.... So in your opinion, for me here in the US, would it be better for me to use a dry sherry as opposed to the shao xing that I can get, or just use the shao xing and add less salt?

Personally, I'd still go for the Shaoxing and add less salt approach. But then,  I can't get sherry here!

Dry sherry is certainly suggested as a sub by many writers.

• Thanks 1

I must admit I'm staggered by the idea of finding a years-old bottle  of Shaoxing in the fridge. I get through a bottle every 4 to 6 weeks and never refrigerate it. It sits on my kitchen counter summer or winter.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

Years ago, before ever traveling to China, I had never made anything that used it.  After coming home from Hong Kong, I got on a Chinese food bender and bought a bottle.  I think the bottle's label recommends to refrigerate after opening - and it made sense to me as I would refrigerate any wine after opening to delay oxidation.  Life got in the way and I stopped cooking very much, and over time the bottle moved slowly to the rear of the refrigerator, where it languished, forgotten.

• Like 1

Since I have come across many recipes that show Shaoxing as a substitute for sake I wonder if it works in reverse. Theoretically there’s no reason it shouldn’t. But I’m no expert on food chemistry.  I can at least buy sake without salt!

My 2004 eG Blog

IF you are in NYC , Im sure you can find something in Chinatown or a good liquor store.

this is the one I have :

Shao.thumb.jpg.f9a02b2dd729e44428be2c616cc3a283.jpg

I poured some in a glass so you could note the color.

I make no claims that this is the brand you should seek out.  In Chinatown BOS at a small Chinese liquor store

they had three versions.  as no English was spoken , I bought the mosts expensive :  $ 7.95   750 cc   17 % alcohol

as is is a fortified wine , it will keep for long time and not turn to vinegar .

Id say this tastes like a dry but dark sherry.   Ive only had a few sake's , and to me this is more complex.

think of a cream or dark sherry , but one that was not sweet.  its been some time since I looked into sherry

and at that time , dry was lighter in color, and not this tripe of complex flavor

a dry amontillado might work if there was such a thing.  cant say myself.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Not in the supermarket!

No, not in the supermarket but the liquor control board is now importing quite a number of sakes. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

I'd agree - from what I've read (and the look of what's in the refrigerator), the Shaoxing is aged, which develops flavors and color (like many Sherry - just not fino).  Sake is not typically aged, hence why it is clear.  Also, I can't find any reliable info about Shaoxing's abv, but sake is quite high - about 15-20%.

Edit: sake is not typically aged in containers that would impart flavors or colors, like oak barrels...

Edited by KennethT (log)

4 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I'd agree - from what I've read (and the look of what's in the refrigerator), the Shaoxing is aged, which develops flavors and color (like many Sherry - just not fino).  Sake is not typically aged, hence why it is clear.  Also, I can't find any reliable info about Shaoxing's abv, but sake is quite high - about 15-20%.

I'll check the Shaoxing ABV tomorrow morning (technically this morning; it's about 10 minutes after midnight into Tuesday here). While I do have Shaoxing it has been decanted into a different container and I don't have the original bottle to check the label.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I'll check the Shaoxing ABV tomorrow morning

Well, it took until late afternoon, but...

The most popular brand for cooking is labelled as having ≧15% ABV. The one I normally go for is slightly higher at ≧16% ABV. This equates to the lower end of the scale for sake. Premium drinking quality Shaoxing may be slightly higher.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

Well, it took until late afternoon, but...

The most popular brand for cooking is labelled as having ≧15% ABV. The one I normally go for is slightly higher at ≧16% ABV. This equates to the lower end of the scale for sake. Premium drinking quality Shaoxing may be slightly higher.

But whatever one uses,  sake, sherry or Shaoxing most of alcohol will be driven off in the cooking process.  So is it not the underlying taste that is the most important element here?  If one is looking for something to bring on a buzz then one can certainly argue otherwise. 

My 2004 eG Blog

56 minutes ago, Anna N said:

But whatever one uses,  sake, sherry or Shaoxing most of alcohol will be driven off in the cooking process.  So is it not the underlying taste that is the most important element here?  If one is looking for something to bring on a buzz then one can certainly argue otherwise. 

I agree.The important thing is the taste. But I was asked about the alcohol content, so I answered.

39 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I agree.The important thing is the taste. But I was asked about the alcohol content, so I answered.

Yes, I did understand that your answer was in response to a specific question. Earlier though there had been some discussion that the differing alcohol %s were of concern. 

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

My concern of the abv didn't have to do about getting a buzz, but more about the marinating/frying properties. Sort of like adding alcohol to a batter to make it crisper, I didn't know if the alcohol content did anything for the marinade.

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

My concern of the abv didn't have to do about getting a buzz, but more about the marinating/frying properties. Sort of like adding alcohol to a batter to make it crisper, I didn't know if the alcohol content did anything for the marinade.

No worries. This has become just too complicated. I certainly didn’t think you were looking for a buzz! 😊

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

• 1 month later...

I use Shaoxing and cooking sake interchangeably in cooking - they don’t taste similar really, but the main purpose is to take the “strong taste” off of the meat, no? I can’t remember where I read that, but a bit of cooking alcohol is almost exclusively used with meat or fish dishes in Japan and China - am I right? I’m just going off of an old memory here.