• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Keto Puff Pastry?

lindaj1

What I would do, is start with about 1 1/2 cups of almond flour. And, by that, I mean the kind that had the skins removed is really fine.  For a more stretchy texture, try adding a tiny bit of Xanthan gum -  maybe 1/2 tsp.  Then the salt, and maybe a little granulated stevia or xylitol (if you want it sweeter). Finally, add in a 2-3 TBs of melted butter or coconut oil (or some other kind of oil). I always add in a TB or so of ice water as well. Chill the dough, roll out or press into a pie dish.  

Without the addition of the Xanthan gum, my doughs usually come out more like a shortbread texture, but totally edible.  

For something on the savory side, using eggs and shredded cheese together with seasonings makes a marvelous bread-like crust. 

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin: