• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

&roid

&roid

We did SV legs last Christmas. 70C (158F) for 24 hours worked really well. This is a lot more than I’d like breast cooked to but gives a nice texture on the dark meat. If you have a reasonable amount of time to prepare it’s no harder to do the different cuts at different temps. 

FWIW we aren’t bothering with SV for the crowns this year, simply roasting these as I’ve found little benefit from the water bath and it’s pretty easy to cook them evenly when detached from the legs. 

Edited to add: the reason we went for 70C on the legs was that previous tries with a lower temp had all turned out quite rubbery, not a nice texture at all. 70C seemed to give a result like a super juicy version of roast meat. 

&roid

&roid

We did SV legs last Christmas. 70C (158F) for 24 hours worked really well. This is a lot more than I’d like breast cooked to but gives a nice texture on the dark meat. If you have a reasonable amount of time to prepare it’s no harder to do the different cuts at different temps. 

FWIW we aren’t bothering with SV for the crowns this year, simply roasting these as I’ve found little benefit from the water bath and it’s pretty easy to cook them evenly when detached from the legs.