• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thanksgiving 2018

joiei

I need your all's help.  Thanksgiving is coming up really fast.  In the last few years it was a very quite day for me.  I would usually head over to the equality center.  But this year, I am thinking of sharing the day.  There is a young couple who live above me.  They are from Bangladesh.    Over the last year they have become a part of my world.  I want t invite them to join me to celebrate the holiday at my apartment.  My thinking is to integrate some very American dishes with some things I have no idea about but is more comfortable for their palates.  There will be 4 of us including a 3 year old, who is my best friend.  I am thinking a turkey breast and gravy, starch and vegies are open, and pecan pie to finish.  Now I do not have a normal table, but we can set up on coffee tables, sort of relaxed.  What am I missing?  How do I make them feel relaxed and comfortable?  I need to keep the menu doable.  Should I ask Mo to add to the menu?  What should I plan on as beverages?  BTW, no pork.  As for Megh, he loves anything truck.  Thanks in advance.  btw, I now go to thrift stores to find trucks for my buddy. Menu suggestions that are doable in a 7.5x7.5 kitchen are greatly appreciated.  

• Like 1

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

First take courage from this Sam Sifton (NYTbfood editor) interview. Near the end he gives 3 points of TG advice. Paraphrasing: 1) it will all be fine  2) you need more butter than you think and 3) not the time to discuss curren issues.  I did most of mine as buffet which would work with your space set-up and allow you to provide an array that has "something for everyone". My solution to beverages has been "bring whatever you would like to drink". Always had a happy crowd.  

Edited by heidih (log)

I'd go with a cornbread dressing, but that's because I can't abide any other kind. I'll highly recommend my sweet potato casserole; you can prep it the day before, and just bake it day-of (as you can the dressing). Boil three or four big sweet potatoes, enough to give you about four cups of mashed flesh. Mash with an egg, 1/2 stick melted butter, 1/2 cup brown sugar (optional, depends on how sweet your sweet tooth is) and some vanilla. Spread in bottom of baking dish. Make a streusel topping with 1/2 cup each brown sugar and pecans, 1/4 cup flour, and 4 tbsp butter, melted; crumble on top of sweet potatoes. Bake at 350 until streusel is nice and melty and potatoes are bubbling, about 30-40 minutes. Family favorite at my house.

I make a cranberry salad that's another holiday tradition, and best made in advance as well. Chop up 1  bag of cranberries, 1 red apple, 1 green apple, 1 cup pecans; dump in a bowl. Zest an orange, and peel and then puree or chop the flesh, and add that. Make a simple syrup with 1 cup sugar and 1 cup water, bring to a boil, take off heat and add 1 small box raspberry jello. Pour over fruit and stir. Refrigerate at least overnight. This isn't a congealed salad; the jello makes a sort of syrupy dressing for the fruit. This has  been on every holiday table I can remember for more than half a century.

A green thing -- I tend toward asparagus or Brussels sprouts. 

Rolls, obviously.

Pumpkin pie is hard to beat as a traditional dessert, though pecan pie is another good one.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

First thing I would check if the turkey needs to be Halal. If they are very observant, they may not eat it otherwise. I would try to integrate some more savory flavors rather than everything being sweet, so for example roasted or mashed potatoes. And maybe a fresh cranberry relish with orange and ginger, which would be leaning towards chutney and more familiar. Sounds like you will have a very nice time regardless of the food!

• Like 2

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2018 at 3:32 PM, Lisa Shock said:

Make sure to have a bottle of hot sauce available.

IMO bread would be a good idea.

THanks, had not thought of the bread.  

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Also I would keep in mind that they are probably interested in American traditions so trying to tailor the meal to their cuisine defeats the point. A classic is the green bean casserole which can be made ahead and reheated in MW adding the crispy onions at the end. I agree on the cranberry sauce though it might amuse them to do the canned one where you leave the can ridges - show them the can. Classic dinner rolls - even the Pillsbury type would be another amusement. Show them how it works. I see it as an educational fun experience. Love the truck guy!

Edited by heidih (log)

Or if you do a fresh cranberry relish hold out some berries so they can see and explain that they grow in bogs in cooler climates. When I have people over for holidays who are newly from other cultures they are gernerally fascinated to be eposed to different things.

• 2 weeks later...

As we ate early and the kids have taken out Black Friday-on-Thursday shopping (I abhor stores that open on Thursday, other than groceries being open early for "oh, God, I forgot X"), leaving me with the grandchild and the TV, I'll kick off the after action reports.

Turkey was excellent. I broke him (my daughter picked him up from my farmer source last Saturday, and named him "Herbie") down into leg quarters, wings and the whole breast. The legs and wings got the sous vide treatment for about 18 hours at 150, and then went into the smoker.  The breast got rubbed with olive oil, sprinkled with a dry brine of salt, brown sugar and sage,  and I roasted it this morning. I had already cut out the backbone to roast for stock.

turkey.png.9e1737a9d7a1694d2ccbc520eb3cd666.png

Sides included cornbread dressing and mac and cheese (not pictured), sweet potato casserole, and brussels sprouts.

1811412929_sweetpotatotesbrusselssprouts.jpg.16e413a55dda757a907a99740f3c260f.jpg

A trio of salads (grape, cranberry and broccoli) with deviled eggs.

1388204401_saladtrio.jpg.d4f249d5c243b4e38ffd5e6638c8345b.jpg

And rolls. As usual, no one wanted dessert, although I had apple-cranberry-walnut crisp and lemon icebox pie.

rolls.jpg.b1db96f28ecee8f885e90fb8209efe8a.jpg

Very little cooking the rest of the weekend!

• Like 8

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Smallish group tonight.  Sunny but chilly day with a fire in the fireplace.

006.thumb.jpg.cf423ee175fb34a200978fe1b1c179d3.jpg

SV Breast...roasted dark meat with gravy

012.thumb.jpg.e765022f8d9af0b3c3eff7555d49dd81.jpg

Smoked spiced yams

0031.thumb.jpg.f43e903fe02fa216f179f53d68414acb.jpg

Brussels sprout slaw with dried cranberries and bacon fat

008.thumb.jpg.37bf2074acba3a41841896a1a85a551b.jpg

Cornbread madelaines, augratin potatoes not shown

• Like 8
  • Delicious 3

5 hours ago, chefmd said:

Why not shown?  I want to see.  Especially the Madeleines!

I forgot to take the pix!

But here are cornbread madelaines with and without jalapeno and  augratin pots (same dish and everything!) from another meal.  I should've just used them in the first place.

Madelaines are the simplest way I've found to serve cornbread at a big meal. No crumbling and lots of crust

1665339620_010(7).thumb.jpg.5e886f993f3dc5620f57529ba27ec797.jpg

1471455816_062(2).thumb.jpg.d086cd50623efdc569fd0be0c1753ed0.jpg

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 6