• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

K8CanCook

Negi/Tokyo Onion vs Scallion/Green Onion for Tare sauce

eGullettiers,

I am making Tare for 50+ Yakitori skewers, and I have two questions related to the use of Negi vs Scallions:

1. What is the delta between Negi/Tokyo Onions, and Scallions/Green Onions in flavor/texture? Is it enough of a difference that I should I fret over the flavor of the Tare? 
  2. Assuming I can't get Negi in time or if there is little taste difference, if a recipe is calling for Negi by the gram, do I need to adjust up or down for Scallions, or just apply them evenly to substitute?

Geeky responses are welcome, I have two days to put the sauce together.

Edited by K8CanCook (log)

Kate "KJ" Phillips

"Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride." - Anthony Bourdain

Hard working Apprentice, always ready to cook, taste, eat, or avoid sleeping to have fun with family or friends.

I have not cooked with them but I can share that when members in Japan have posted negi seem sturdier than green onions/scallions Scallions appear to have more water content . I would think they are moe on the onion side verus the "greener" edge of scallions. But...not being ngeeky - I wouldn't fret.

• Like 2

Oh here is an older topic that may give you perspective  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mostly they are a lot longer and a bit thicker as well, but the flavor it pretty much the same. They are readily available here in L.A. but if you can't get them I wouldn't worry too much. Just get the biggest scallions you can find

• Thanks 1

I went with scallions due to time constraints. They held up well, and I only remember two skewers losing their onion. I do want to try this with Negi next time. Here are some pics of the "Negi" and the vegan Tare I served.

-dpQl47IiBG50sO30flP4EffBCC3F3D_UjLyoO3Wtyvir8QqgFjx7sCdxEYZpiOaBJ7LkrlgPTgdfynEm5r6JUTV4TbCJN0az98YARFmapNe5s361Tfym8IDlgnckS9UA07vGoep3VKit3SZejl_5G3qrRXU1GvgNR9KlbbojO-hw1-1TgOGhQmGfzi2PxRCfO_qXEVm7RPB7lx7w93w2egXegqktlSqiDkWVgA8tx8q6eaoE_q9BbqQt8xw0GrKyk4UBrhbM5vpRpIpsHczBIaXeW4aid8Uw-2-qm4dTpJkpVbdc92jHH6lIyNBwA5dX3Fc7cO079SKtNdRpvevJ_Dua2XV7CUKvuSiLvnwdx1UoXb7Lg9yMswz6hJE7UrYL0tn-XysX2Wwrrxm_gtwGez5JJABLfcTbN0AtMDdB1HAr_JwqsR6jnbbpWEH0WQmmcf5k3pL7b_FL5qVfaXJhIp-xxOZmgCJA8M5f0X9HEkDHhet8ZoexPBJlw-KlmqNQtzm3kVArgXNSiGQyIRTbaXDlt5HLtzyB4VJCU0Uz37UorPhcVbXs-2ANRtoPEtDSSV5tSjrikU9rcShvQbnhZfYnGUJbKiVDInccuDAO-DRB7A3q0n9vAoNH26tscpkWgTj04CVFAyitL6x7WfYnRhmyw=w711-h948-noGZueiuy7dYdCGUOpnzJeRTDswIO1pY6TR_4uU9_s00UCRaHRqh_taFHJ5GLs91JJ23RmoElrY2rSPRLn9EwppkryqSJrZF-K44kVKd2RO9WoEYK6zYF24ShYs0mJOoBMILz6hev8li5C7Z-mE8xAj3MAGRVxPMXK4j89hJRSxU1RhVR-fHJz-63ydkWiiitVeaLKgFj6XSlQSx_KcKSuNISaLHOdVG7sU0fANdWd_U8J3g0U4TZ6saXFIwxq5S5oWs4qYXuQitBnZV4VMsMd0b3D1dLyR40WKlinP5k9n6YnCoKf7diYuc3XxB255HjRO-nlWFuxZUScij_JS9eK7HSOzWqsfCz_Use56_QZwPp8GLyp6G2AS9g3sj3ZfMYAazmY8hnFPf8tBA3mBkSGMh1OUi72LFM11ZdIKK0pKogYUI9lMcE91gKxSPNv0urjpohApaU9k4YqmmLLKLkwnDRXunqegEESlbJraz24Mc7-edkkPLfhU6QRkd8yeyXZ2ZAyJfNyWhs9qi84dXp_xYh8uGxFwH5aAHV3RBeClx9ymoQ7_mEWtyGsiGea21Q_BYF9JwN3ztRCjhJTaJTfMN-jQeYZsKh2tin_xnqBzT15kPMtCGCAwLl0szlwQtyr_3imSW2HiaZiU8-BOOblXshdoA=s948-no

• Like 1

Kate "KJ" Phillips

"Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride." - Anthony Bourdain

Hard working Apprentice, always ready to cook, taste, eat, or avoid sleeping to have fun with family or friends.

You can always go 2 skewers per set of scallions - makes it easier to handle esp if you are grilling

• Like 1