• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Marble tempering

Chocoguyin Pemby

Hi all - learning so much from everyone in the forum - thanks for your sharing of knowledge - it's the most positive website iv'e come across for sharing - so my question is how big a marble should I look for to table temper 1-2 lbs of chocolate at a time.  I'm thinking a 2'x3' piece?    Is there any difference between marble/granite/quartz or do they all do the job   Tying to find someone local doing a kitchen reno I can get a piece from.  TIA

Agreed, 2x3’ is probably enough area. 

Do you want to be able to move it around, or will it have a permanent spot in your kitchen?  If you want to move it, you may prefer a smaller piece or at least a thinner slab of stone.  If it will have a permanent spot, might be worth finding a remnant you like and having it cut to fit. 

I have a piece of stone that is thinner (1”) and about the size of a sheet pan (18 x 24” approx), I do move it around but it must be at least 30 lb. Any larger or thicker approaches difficult for one person to move.

• Like 1

The piece of marble I have is around 2 inches thick and probably about 2.5 by 3. It's a bear to move. And responsible for the chips on the tile floor in the kitchen. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Rajala said:

Ouch, must be pretty big chips. :o 

Not as big as you would have thought. They are pretty substantial tiles. My hubby was very upset about what could happen to the tiles and had no concern about what could happen to my feet - so it wasn’t a good day all around.

I've been very lucky.  A friend's son gave me a piece of marble, 17"x35", and my DH set it into a table for me.  It's bigger than I need for chocolate or confections, but it's also a kitchen work table. 

When we used to travel to our home away from home, Moab, Utah, I simply took a 12"x12" tile which I bought somewhere.  It's not marble bu it's highly polished and just fine.  I don't know if it's a counter or floor tile. 

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.