• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant flatware thoughts

gfron1

I love rustic...no apologies!

https://www.gourmetsettings.com/flatware/treble-clef/

Discounted elsewhere.

I have all sets except the 5 piece hostess set.

Goes great with all the cast iron serving ware I have.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 5

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

We invested in new flatware a couple months ago.  I was so impressed by the flatware at Fig & Olive in Newport Beach, CA that I took a picture of them.  They use the Sambonet Dream pattern.  It’s simple, functional, elegant, and durable 1810 SS.  When it was time to replace our aging flatware I researched them out and found the QPR reasonable.  This pattern is used in Michelin Star restaurants and high end hotels worldwide.  The best price I found was through https://www.rwsmithco.com/?collection=Dream&pattern=Dream.  If you’re looking for something even better, I’d recommend the pattern L'Atelier de Joël Robuchon uses: https://www.sambonet-shop.com/h-art-18-10-stainless-steel-40-pcs-place-setting/.  I hope this helps!

1DEB6C97-B0D2-4DC8-890F-42D74D633CC4.jpeg

CC9AB5DB-6B38-43D5-8E41-CDB7B9A6DD9C.jpeg

• Like 5

The photos that J. Robie posted would be pretty close to my ideal.  I like simple(no intricate patterns or crevices), handles that aren't too small in width and thickness, forks with some curved edge on the outer tines, and spoons that aren't too shallow.

I looked through the Wayfair site, and here are some that caught my interest.  They range from fairly traditional to somewhat offbeat.  Not all them match up completely with my previously mentioned preferences,  but there was usually something about them that compensated for that.  It was hard for me to judge how shallow the spoons were.  Also don't know how they rate for quality.  I'd think satin finish might be better for a restaurant than a mirror finish due to fingerprints, but I really don't know if that's the case.

Edited by Chimayo Joe (log)
  • Like 1

Looks like the Oneida Paul Revere pattern is also available in child and baby sizes.

That seems like a nice potential option.

https://www.oneida.com/flatware/child-baby-flatware.html/

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

17 hours ago, J.Robie said:

We invested in new flatware a couple months ago.  I was so impressed by the flatware at Fig & Olive in Newport Beach, CA that I took a picture of them.  They use the Sambonet Dream pattern.  It’s simple, functional, elegant, and durable 1810 SS.  When it was time to replace our aging flatware I researched them out and found the QPR reasonable.  This pattern is used in Michelin Star restaurants and high end hotels worldwide.  The best price I found was through https://www.rwsmithco.com/?collection=Dream&pattern=Dream.  If you’re looking for something even better, I’d recommend the pattern L'Atelier de Joël Robuchon uses: https://www.sambonet-shop.com/h-art-18-10-stainless-steel-40-pcs-place-setting/.  I hope this helps!

Those are beautiful. Thanks

On 10/27/2018 at 5:15 AM, chefmd said:

Check this out.  http://www.ftsonline.com/. They have outlet store in Sterling, VA.  Lots of modern staff, very cheap.  A trip there may save you a lot of money on plates and silverware. 

I have been sitting on this lead til now. Gonna start shopping some of these ideas.

3 hours ago, gfron1 said:

I have been sitting on this lead til now. Gonna start shopping some of these ideas.

1 hour ago, chefmd said:

Let me know if u r in town!

Ditto. Rob, I live pretty close to Sterling.  Definitely let me know if you are going to be in the area, need to check with husband and cat but I think we can put you up in the guest bedroom while you're here.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

But wait...makes no sense - it is a restaurant supply company.  

Online restaurant suppliers like webrestaurants and katom have all the local places struggling to keep up so most sell to the public at a retail price. Their sale will be above wholesale I assume.

• Thanks 1

I was going to say I hate funny designed knives, too. It sticks in my mind because we went to a very nice place on Friday that had funky modern knives and they were uncomfortable to hold and use, and misbehaved when you tried to set them down. The waitress managed to flip one onto the floor. 

We use Liberty Tabletop ourselves. The pattern we gave is the Champlain which is not at all my cup of tea in style but felt the best of everything we tried in the hand. (I have arthritis in my hands, I’m finicky.)

Overall I prefer knives that have some bulk to the handle. Not huge, but I find very thin ones (like you get at inexpensive restaurants) unpleasant to use also. If you need to put any pressure on them at all they dig in.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, quiet1 said:

I was going to say I hate funny designed knives, too. It sticks in my mind because we went to a very nice place on Friday that had funky modern knives and they were uncomfortable to hold and use, and misbehaved when you tried to set them down. The waitress managed to flip one onto the floor. 

I was so proud of myself when I bought some stainless steel knives, all one piece, blade and handle. The handle is hollow and rounded, quite bulbous. I gloated, that my great grand nieces and nephews will inherit these beauties.

I got them home and into use, and the handles that were so comfortable in my hand refused to say balanced on the edge of a plate. They are somewhat like this and these. Mine are non-serrated and with even more bulbous and rounded handles than those I could find to show you. They are very nice knives, that should last virtually forever. I use them now to cut pies and quiches or other tasks in the kitchen.

They just make a big mess trying to use them in the dining room. They will roll off the plate onto the table at no provocation, and I can see how they would wind up on the floor easily too, it one were unfamiliar with them, but unlike the ones quiet1 mentioned, the handles are very, very comfortable in the hand, which is what led me to purchase them along with the durable one-piece construction from stainless steel. Don't be fooled like I was.

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

I did pick a set that someone above suggested (I'll tell you more when its a final decision), and when I talked to a sales rep who has numerous brands and styles she said, "just do a Google Image search and see if any of ours come up as similar." Now, I'm not a tech wizard, but I betcha Google Image search is not so refined as to tell the difference between stylistic nuances of flatware. I will try when I have a few minutes to waste.