• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What can I make with melted chocolate?

Kim Shook

Jessica made chocolate dipped strawberries for a wedding last weekend and now I have probably 2 cups + of chocolate that was melted and has solidified again.  Any ideas what I should do with it?  If your idea includes 3 soft and freckled bananas you get extra points!  Thanks!

It's a long time ago and I can't quite remember what I did, but I think I fried halved (longways) bananas in butter and added some liqueur of some kind and then put chocolate sauce over top of all.   That won't use up all your chocolate, but it's a start.  Yum...

I pretty much always top what I make with a chocolate ganache...4 oz melted chocolate and 1/2 cup of cream.  I usually use half & half, but whipping cream is even nicer.  

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Chocolate banana bread... maybe even chocolate peanut butter banana bread. I don't have recipes for and have never made either, just what popped into my head right away and I'm sure google would find recipes for both faster than I could cobble one together. Banana bread and peanut butter are a couple of personal favorite things so that was easy. The chocolate just because that was what you started out wanting to use up. :D

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Chop some into chunks and mix into your banana bread batter, then make ganache with some and drizzle or spread it on top of the finished loaf.

Or if you're feeling fancy, bake the banana bread as cake rounds and make a banana layer cake with chocolate ganache filling.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Lisa Shock said:

Make chocolate ice cream and banana sorbet. Both will keep for 6+ months if need be

Confused.  I was informed on one of eG's ice cream topics that homemade ice cream was basically really good for two weeks only. 

I made my usual quantity of ice cream for our annual dog weekend but quite a lot was left over.  By the time, Ed ate the end of it (I am not an ice cream lover), it was less than perfect and that would have been at most 1 1/2 months.  

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

13 minutes ago, Darienne said:

Confused.  I was informed on one of eG's ice cream topics that homemade ice cream was basically really good for two weeks only. .  

Good point- without stabilizers, ice cream can get icy over time.

The solid hunk of dark chocolate has a much longer shelf life than anything you’d make with it, so saving it as-is for future projects works too. 

• Like 1

This won't use up much chocolate, but I keep super ripe peeled bananas in the freezer specifically to make an "ice cream" that is simply banana. Put chunks of frozen bananas in a food processor and let it run. You may have to scrape it down occasionally. Let it run some more. After a few minutes it will get very pale in color and creamy, and with a texture much like soft serve. The mouthfeel is much like a dairy product. At this point, I sometimes add cocoa, chopped chocolate, or another fruit such as strawberry or peach, or some flaked coconut.

Also, a mix of melted chocolate and coconut oil makes for a great homemade ice cream shell topping.

Edited by tikidoc (log)
  • Like 2

I'm voting for the chocolate-banana bread. You can make more than one loaf, freeze the extras or give them out as gifts.  But the caramels sounds yummy too.....so, maybe do both! 

• Like 2

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

I decided on making chocolate chunk banana loaves.  I re-melted the chocolate a little while ago and spread it in a pan and chopped it up into nice sized chunks.  I'll keep one for us and put the other one in the freezer for our church bake sale on the 3rd.  Thank you all for the ideas!  I'll post a picture later.  

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I realize the window of opportunity is now closed.  However I was faced this evening with a bowlful of melted chocolate that was too small a quantity to mold.  I thought immediately of the Magnus Nilsson recipe Flygande Jakob (The Nordic Cookbook p270).

Naturally I am prohibited by copyright from sharing the details of the recipe.  Though the list of ingredients is as follows:

Chicken, 1 large roasted

Italian Dressing Mix, store bought dry

Bananas, 2

Cream, 300 ml

Chilli Sauce, Heinz 100 ml

Bacon, 150 grams

Peanuts, salted 80 grams

Astute readers may note the lack of melted chocolate.  No matter, this dish is crying out for melted chocolate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Too late for my suggestion, as well. Every Christmas my mom would make peanut clusters using redskin peanuts and melted chocolate. Spoon the clusters onto parchment or wax paper. Easy peasy. Great for holiday goodies gifts.

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver