• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Microwaveable Indian food pouches

Chimayo Joe

I've mainly eaten the legume varieties and have been fairly pleased by them.  Actually, I think I've eaten all the legume varieties from Tasty Bite, Maya Kaimal, and Truly Indian.  Those are the brands I have available locally.  I thought some were better than others but didn't find any to be inedible.. I keep a few around because they're so convenient.

FWIW, here's my rating of them.  The numbers are just my relative rating to help me remember which I've liked better than others and not meant to render judgment on how good or bad they are.  I've tried a couple of the non-legume Tasty Bite (Bombay Potatoes and Mushroom Masala) and thought they were decent, as well.

8 - Tasty Bite Madras Lentils
7 - Tasty Bite Jodhpur Lentils
6 - Maya Kaimal Black Lentils + Tomato + Cumin
6 - Maya Kaimal Green Split Peas + Spinach + Coconut
6 - Maya Kaimal Green Garbanzos + Corn + Coriander
6 - Tasty Bite Bengal Lentils (Garbanzos)
6 - Tasty Bite Channa Masala
6 - Tasty Bite Bombay Lentils
6 - Truly Indian Delhi Lentils (good flavor but slimy texture)
5 - Maya Kaimal Kidney Beans + Carrots + Tamarind
5 - Truly Indian Bombay Chickpeas
4 - Maya Kaimal Red Lentil + Butternut Squash + Coconut
4 - Tasty Bite Spinach Dal

Edited by Chimayo Joe (log)
  • Like 1

I think Costco sells the Madras Lentils in microwaveable pouches. 

What concerns me is the sodium content. I think the microwaveable lentils from Costco taste great and are convenient but when I read the sodium content I hesitated to buy them again.

It's the same with a lot of the Trader Joe's frozen products. I read the sodium per serving and just put them back in TJ's freezer. 

I think it's great that more cuisines are finding their way to our local grocery stores so we have more options. I just wish they were made a little healthier.

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

2 hours ago, Chimayo Joe said:

FWIW, here's my rating of them.  The numbers are just my relative rating to help me remember which I've liked better than others and not meant to render judgment on how good or bad they are.

What is the rating scale?  And is a low # good or a high one?

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

What is the rating scale?  And is a low # good or a high one?

The higher the number the better I liked it.  Scale is tentatively 0-10 and only applies comparatively to products of that type, so even a 10 wouldn't necessarily mean an item is absolutely stunningly delicious. I leave a little room at the top in case I happen across better than what i've already had.  I might even assign someting a negative number if I ran across something disgusting.  It's really just to help me keep track of what I've had and how much I liked a product, so I don't accidentally buy something by mistake. I've done something similar for hot sauces and for jarred pasta sauces.  It bugs me to buy something I've forgotten that I've tried and didn't like.

Toliver is correct that there's a lot of sodium in these, but it's not like I eat them every day or even every week.

Edited by Chimayo Joe (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1