• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eglies

I need a chocolatier mentor or coach

Hello there everyone! I am a new chocolatier and I am looking for someone who has some time to dedicate helping me set up my new business. I have questions mostly on recipes and equipment. Is anyone available?

Thank you

Egli

There is such a wealth of knowledge here in the various threads and topics!  Have you gone through some of the ones you are most interested in, as far as type of recipes?  I'm not a chocolatier, yet I learn something every time I read a thread; people are very generous here with their time and knowledge.

• Like 1

There is a pastry and baking index put together by @gfron1 a few years back. It should lead you to a lot of very helpful topics. Here

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

There is a pastry and baking index put together by @gfron1 a few years back. It should lead you to a lot of very helpful topics. Here

Wow! I did not know this existed.  Going down the rabbit hole......I may never come up.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Wow! I did not know this existed.  Going down the rabbit hole......I may never come up.

I always wish it had been kept up. It was exhaustive when it was complete

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, gfron1 said:

It was a thing of beauty! You put a ton of work into those indexes.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, gfron1 said:

As it is, it's wonderful.  Great job!

• Like 2

At JeanneCake, I spend all my free time reading all these threads but it is also exhausting because I read a lot of things that dont interest me and when you want answers to specific questions its difficult. I really need someone who I can send questions to and who can answer them and help me on the next topic. gfron1 has been amazing with all the questions but I know its also that time of the year that everyone is so busy. If you know of anyone available who can help me out I would really appreciate it! Thank you all

I am one of those too involved in holiday production right now to be able to answer your questions in the way you seem to desire, but I do have a suggestion:  You might say whether you are looking for a paid mentor or not. If not, then I would just post my questions one after another; you will almost certainly get answers (it helps if you first look for a topic that is relevant and add your post to that thread). If you are willing to pay, you will probably get some responses as well and wouldn't have to submit post after post to the forum--you could just email back and forth with the mentor and get more individualized attention. I have thought of going the paying route myself to improve my caramel-making skills but have not gotten around to it.

And @eglies now that my daytime restaurant is closed, and I'm two months til my next...DM me any questions you want and I'll see what I can do. I totally understand your need. My questions are very specific to my set up, my desired outcomes, my target market, etc, and these threads, while they contain every possible answer, are really hard to sort through at times.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, gfron1 said:

And @eglies now that my daytime restaurant is closed, and I'm two months til my next...DM me any questions you want and I'll see what I can do. I totally understand your need. My questions are very specific to my set up, my desired outcomes, my target market, etc, and these threads, while they contain every possible answer, are really hard to sort through at times.

I’m happy to help as well via PM - while @gfron1 can field business questions better than I, technical Chocolate questions I am good with. PMing us both in copy will likely get answers.

• Like 4

• Similar Content

• By eglies
      I have just started my own chocolaterie. We opened two weeks ago, we are only online business. It’s 15 days before Easter here. I have produced Bonbons but don’t know if it’s enough. I have budgeted for this but nobody can tell me how it will go right? I’m scared we won’t cope with last minute orders that week...
    • By tinyragebaking
      Hi everyone! 

I  lurk more often than post but I love this website! I've been dabbling in making bon bons and I wanted to ask if anybody here knew of any couverture dairy-free chocolates? One of my good friends is getting married and I would love to surprise her with some bon bons, but she has a severe allergy to caesin (so much so that if there's cross contamination with other food, she risks going to anaphylactic shock).  I'd appreciate any help or suggestions

Here's a photo of some of the stuff I've been having fun with.  I did from left to right an olive oil and thyme center, raspberry and green tea, and blueberry ginger! 

• By curls
      So, what is everyone doing for the pastry & baking side of Easter?

I'm working on the following chocolates: fruit & nut eggs, hollow bunnies, Jelly Belly filled bunnies, coconut bunnies, dragons (filled with rice krispies & chocolate), peanut butter hedgehogs, and malted milk hens. Hoping to finish my dark chocolate production today and get started on all my milk chocolate items.

My father-in-law will be baking the traditional family Easter bread a day or two before Easter. Its an enriched bread and he makes two versions -- one with raisins and one without (I prefer the one with raisins).

And I was lucky enough to spot this couple in the sale moulds stock at last year's eGullet chocolate & confections workshop in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario. These love bunnies help so very much with Easter chocolate production!  ;-)

• By eglies
      hi everyone, 

Another problem occurred with our caramel recipe for our bonbons. I had a perfect texture using my recipe for 32 cavities and when I multiplied that by 2 the caramel was a completely different texture and very runny.

Any suggestions why this happened?
      Thank you
    • By Jim D.
      I have an opportunity to obtain (without a trip to NYC, where everything appears available) some hard-to-find liqueurs or brandies for my chocolate work, primarily in ganaches. I already have a poire Williams eau-de-vie and a framboise one as well. I have German kirschwasser but am getting low on that, so am thinking of getting more while I have this chance. For new ones, I'm thinking primarily of apricot. I have heard there are some wonderful European apricot brandies/liqueurs, but don't know which really taste of apricots and are worth purchasing. And the other flavor I would like is a strawberry brandy or liqueur. Online I've found Dolceterra Marcati wild strawberries liqueur and Drillaut strawberry liqueur but know nothing about either. I lean more toward a liqueur/cordial than eau-de-vie because sometimes I think the latter does not always taste specifically of the fruit.

Any guidance would be much appreciated, including ideas for fruits I haven't mentioned.